Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Inverter Transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

delta06

Need help from all,

I wanted to build a small inverter (50 - 100 W) for my school project, just want to know about the transformer, is it an ordinary transformer that was just connected in reverse? I don't know much about electronics yet, thanks in advance.

If the frequency of the inverter is around 50 or 60Hz, perhaps the ordinary transformers could be used.But , there is a problem. The core saturates with DC flow in the low voltage primary. It is generally overcome by packing the core of the transformer in a special way. All "E"s of the E & I core one one side and all the "I"s on the other side. With a reluctance air gap calculated. this gap can be in the form of Teflon sheeting to meet the required "mills"(=1/1000 of inch is a mill - perhaps you might already know it).

with such arrangement and if the primary wire is thick enough to carry the required current for deliver 50 to 100W on secondary, leaving margins for system efficiency and Power factor and also for square wave vs Sine wave.

Once all the above criteria are met , you will observe the size of the transformer will increase.

On the other hand if high frequency is used, like the modern ones (PWM type), you might need a Ferrite cored Transformer- the size could be reduced if high frequency versions are designed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back