Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Inverter 14V DC to 14Vac

Status
Not open for further replies.

MP35

Hi, I think I should point out that I know absolutely nothing about electronics, but I can solder. I am looking for an idiot's guide to build an inverter for 14V DC to work from my car cigarette lighter. I need an output of about 7 amps, but I could build multi units if this is impractical. I would use Maplins for parts unless anyone can point me at another parts stockist in NW London. Thanx.

I don't understand why you need a 14VAC inverter to power a cigarette lighter. A cigarette lighter is just a heating element and will work from 14VDC, no inverter required.

What do you need 14 volts ac for?:confused: Could you just buy one of those 120 volt inverters they sell for using in the car and drop the voltage with a transformer? Maybe one of the pros her can advise. Sounds like a complicated first project.

That would work but it wouldn't be very efficient and will probably prove quite bulky and expensive.

What do you want to power with 14VAC?

Some extra low voltage appliances require AC becuase it gets converted to a bipolar supply using a couple of diodes and capacitors built into the device. You can run most of these devices from a squarewave, an h-bridge connected to an oscillator ought to do the job. However you might require a higher voltage than 14V as the peak voltage for 14V is19.8V but a switching regulator on the input would solve that problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back