Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Interview question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nagarathna

Hi,

I had been to an interview last weekend and was asked a question.

Interviewer : i have 8 gpio pins in a controller and i want to controll and access 16 devices how would u do it ?

Me : I wouls use a mux

but the interviewer was not satisfied with the answer hence plz do suggest me with
other options and ideas if any.

Thanku

That's what I would do, but then again I have a business degree and as such won't be interviewing for any engineering jobs any time soon. In other words, I can't say. However, since he said "control and access" I would have said that you need a mux and demux.

Maybe he just wanted you to elaborate or engage him further on what kind of devices you would be controlling, communication protocol, etc.

When I read your interview question, I thought the same as you (use a mux). Thinking further, I think I would have had to ask several questions:
1. What is the control signal? On/Off, serial, binary.....
2. Can the devices be programmed to accept an address (identifier)?- with eight IO pins you should be able to address....255 devices.

These questions would have to be answered for me to start answering the question....

Did you get the job?

Pick one;

(1) I would be happy to provide you with a quote if you can provide fully qualified specifications.
(2) If you don't have specifications I could help you write the specifications at a reasonable T&M rate.
(3) Damn it Jim, I'm a Doctor, not an Engineer.

and, how about,

(4) If you'd like, I can probably show you how to do it with 6 GPIO pins (LOL)...

Last edited:
They are judging whether you have experienced in Input Output expanding.

Also they checking whether you have component knowledge rather than common names like multiplexers,decoders etc.......

I think we need judges like that.

Pick one;

(4) If you'd like, I can probably show you how to do it with 6 GPIO pins (LOL)...

Ok...4 x 4 pins gives u a 16 way mux. 3 x 3 a 9 way......or less if u use serial with 74hc595 parallel latches.

How does 6 do 16?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back