Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Interview for homework assignment

Status
Not open for further replies.

LandonH

I am a student looking for someone who can help me with an interview for a school project about how a television works. I only have a few questions that will not take too long. Thank you for your help.

My main TV is my fourth one. They were all CRT TVs. It is a Sony 32" VEGA with a completely flat screen and it still works perfectly.
My first was a Philips Modular 4 designed and made in Canada (vacuum tubes and semiconductors hybrid) where I got my first job fixing car radios on the production line then I was promoted into engineering them.
My second TV was a 32" Sony that failed after 8 years and after I fixed it it failed within one week.
My third TV was a cheap little 13" one.
My son gave me a 27" CRT TV with a completely flat screen for my recent birthday. It replaces my 13" one in my computer room.

I ordered parts to fix my 32" Sony TV from the head office of Sony in Canada where they fix them. I ordered the numbers printed on the original parts and printed on the schematic.
They sent the wrong parts that are completely different and even the case is completely different.

I complained and the Japanese lady on the phone said they are the same but are replacements. I spoke to her manager and he sent the correct parts.
THEY WORKED PERFECTLY! For only one week then the same parts failed again.

How does Sony make a 1000V capacitor?
DUH! They put two 500V ones in series. Then the one with the lowest value fails and they are both gone.

How does Sony make a 1000V capacitor?
DUH! They put two 500V ones in series. Then the one with the lowest value fails and they are both gone.
Then why order them from Sony?

Then why order them from Sony?
Because I thought SONY knows how to do things properly. But now I know they don't.
They couldn't even supply the correct parts and didn't know they had them.

Maybe the 1st part you got was a good 1000 volt cap. And after you asked them for the old part some guy went in the back and soldered two caps together and sent that to you and thay went bad.

Ya I guess my point is the newer TV technicians dont know how a TV realy works. I did, just forgot.
I took a course series from DeVry Institute of Technology back in the 70's on home entertainment systems. The TV courses were the most interesting parts. Especially how they literally had to skirt the laws of physics to come up with a working color TV broadcast standard that was 100% compatible with all B+W TV's in use at the time. That's how we ended up with a system inferior to Europe's PAL system, but ours worked OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back