Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Internet on the TV box

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beaulieu

Does anyone know how these little machines work? I'm talking about the set-up boxs like MSN TV and SURF TV S1000 (ebay). My friend is planning on designing a new style and I wanted to help him out a bit, so I decided to get some knowledge on the machine first.

Does anyone know where to find some more information on the internals or maybe even some schematics?

It's just a cut-down PC. I'm pretty sure it's running Windows or Linux with a TV-out. They work hard to hide the operating system, booting straight into the browser/email apps.

Early on they tried to sell a scheme where the machines were sold dirt cheap and you were supposed to subscribe to their high profit internet service. However, people soon figured out how to hack the box, run Linux, and use it for whatever you wanted. When that happened, the company stood to see huge losses as peope bought their discounted boxes with no intention of buying their internet service. They tanked soon afterwards IIRC.

get a mini-ITX motherboard and run linux on it. easy enough to do. the EPIA mobos are particularly cost effective as they include the processor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back