Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

internal osc for pic18f4550

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimonM

Hi,

I have a concern and a problem using the internal osc for pic18f4550. I am trying to do a rs-232 connexion on my pc (the hardware is in place...max 232 etc..) and I am bugging at finding the osc speed using this configuration: #pragma config FOSC = INTOSCIO_EC. I need to assign a value to BRG, but I couldn't find a concrete value for the FOSC.

Furthermore, in my initial schematic design, I planned on using a external oscillator, but I am currently working without it. Do you think it is a good idea to have a external oscillator? I know that 18f4550 were designed to get a much more stable internal clock.

here is the current code I have:

#pragma config WDT = OFF //Disable watchdog timer
#pragma config LVP=OFF
#pragma config FOSC = INTOSCIO_EC

#include <p18f4550.h>
#include <delays.h>
#include <usart.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

void portConfig(void);
void relaysInit(void);
void eusartConfig(void);

void main(void)
{
portConfig();
relaysInit();

TXSTA = 0b00100100;
RCSTA = 0b10010000;
BAUDCON = 0b01000000;
SPBRG = 42; // probly faulty value!

bankEnable();
bankAToggle();

while (1)
{
//Write data
TXREG='B';
}
}

Simon

Last edited:
Thanks, I have been twinking with my program this morning and both CPU loopback and PIC loopback works. I tried the full communication path and I think that my baud rate isn't properly set or the baud result isn't good because I don't receive anything at the desired baud rate. However, if I lower my baud rate there is something showing that is completely useless. According to the datasheet, I should be @ 8mhz with a baud rate of 9600 -> SPBRG = 12.

Both communication doesn't work for now. I can't send nor receive from both sides.

Got any idea about what is going on?

EDIT: found the solution.

1) by default the internal clock is set at 1MHz .... I needed to edit the osccon value so that it run @8MHz

Thanks for the help everybody

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back