Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Interior lighting dimming

Status
Not open for further replies.

petemcr

Hello everyone, pretty new here so still a bit of a n00b :)

I've been trying to get my cars interior light to dim then go off, rather than just shutting off (because it's an old car lol)
it has a basic circuit board which basically holds the charge for a few seconds, then completely goes out and I've seen kits that can make it dim

Am I right in thinking that I could modify my original one so that it dims?

any help would be great, thanks

You need a power transistor which acts as an increasing resistance between the battery and the lamp to slowly decrease the current through the lamp, or a transistor which is pulsed on/off at a rate above which your eye perceives it (flicker fusion) such that the ratio of ON time to OFF time slowly changes to gradually decrease the average current through the lamp (Pulse Width Modulation)

Google the colored terms. The first method dissipates a few watts of power, so the transistor has to be mounted on the car body to act as a heatsink. The second method dissipates less, but the circuitry is much more complicated.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back