Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Interfacing usb with PIC18f4550

Status
Not open for further replies.

anwarulhaq

hi all;
i m currently doing work in memory interfacing. i want to interface USB drive with PIC18F4550. can anyone plz help me.

i want to do this as soon ass possible. i will wait for response..........
haq1985@hotmail.com
plz do help.

anwarulhaq said:
hi all;
i m currently doing work in memory interfacing. i want to interface USB drive with PIC18F4550. can anyone plz help me.

The USB interface is the wrong way round for that, it's for connecting to a PC, not a peripheral.

Nigel's right, it's simply not possible to do with a PIC, it DOES NOT have the required hardware to act as a USB host.

There are some standalone chips which can perform USB host duties, however they are all certain to be pretty complex and hard to use. Plus, not many hobbyists have used them, so you're probably not going to find many (if any) example projects to work from, and not many people will be able to offer much help - since it doesn't appear you even did your basic research before posting this thread, you may want to SERIOUSLY reconsider what you're trying to do...

USB host

See Circuit Cellar #202 May 2007 Page 42 Embedded USB host.

I did not read the article but I believe that if you only want to talk to one USB device it is not too hard.

Also take a look at USB On-The-Go at https://www.usb.org/developers/onthego/
It is basically a limited host & device hybrid. Very useful in many applications :)
USB on the to is not implemented on PICs.

In addition, if you want to learn more about USB, read "USB Complete, 3rd ed" book. Not only it covers USB in general, but it also demonstrates C code for 18F4450 (although this code is taken from Microchip).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back