Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

interfacing two ATmega16 microcontrollers

Status
Not open for further replies.

garodriguez

I am doing a project where I need to transfer temperature readings from one microcontroller to another. The readings are obtained from a DS1820 digital thermometer. My goal is to first achieve this using serial communication and then wireless. Any ideas or suggestions on the C code will help a lot.

Well...

Well...

wonderful...

to interface two microcontrollers... you can follow either of the four things:

1. interface the parallel ports... that is very simple just using the ribbon wire...

2. interface it serially... just you have to program it to transfer data serially and another one to receive data serially...

3. fiber optics: you can see one of the posts started by me as how we can do that...

https://www.electro-tech-online.com...face-microcontroller-with-fiber-optics.32000/

4. wireless: use license free modules that work at 433 MHz for transferring of data...

Regards,

Simran..:)

great

the one that seems to work best for my purpose will be the serial transfer of data between microcontrollers. Unfortunetly, I am not a programming expert but I can tell you that Im using CodeVision AVR as my C compiler. If anybody can help me on starting with the programming I would really appreciate it.

Look into code that uses the SPI peripheral. A google search or browsing the code repository on AVRfreaks.net should get you started. SPI is extremely fast and it's a common serial bus. If you add an SPI wireless transmitter at a later time only minor code modifcations would be required.

just connect rx of one uC to tx of another and vice versa. But if one uC should act as a master program then it will be easy. If you are searching for serial port interface, you can use this code
/*----------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------MAIN FUNCTION------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------*/

void main()
{
unsigned char a;
//lcd initializationsa
Init_Ports();

InitUART( 25 ); /* Set the baudrate to 2400 bps using a 1MHz crystal */
for(;;) /* Forever */
{

TransmitByte(0x99); /* Echo the received character */
Receive_PORT=ReceiveByte();

}
}

------------FUNCTIONS TO Initialize UART--------------------------

void InitUART( unsigned char baudrate )
{
UBRRL = baudrate; /* Set the baud rate */
UCSRB = (UCSRB | _BV(RXEN) | _BV(TXEN) ); /* Enable UART receiver and transmitter */
}
------------FUNCTIONS TO READ UART-------------------------------
unsigned char ReceiveByte( void )
{
while ( !(UCSRA & (_BV(RXC))) ); /* Wait for incomming data */
return UDR;/* Return the data */
}

------------FUNCTIONS TO WRITE UART-------------------------------
void TransmitByte( unsigned char data )
{
while ( !(UCSRA & (_BV(UDRE))) ); /* Wait for empty transmit buffer */
UDR = data; /* Start transmittion */
}

void Init_Ports(void)
{
Receive_DDR=0xFF; //setting that port for output
Receive_PORT=0XFF; //setting all bits high for starting
}

For testing uart of uC you can use this link.
http://avrmicrocontroller.googlepages.com/TestingUARTofAVRmicrocontroller.html
See fuse bits to see which frequency you are running microcontroller

Bibin John
www.bibinjohn.tk

uart

How to program for blinking a LED of second microcontroller by using first microcontroller.....i need your help.....thanks

that LED i am controlling from first microcontroller.

I think the best way to do this, is to use the USART ( = serial connection ).
When you want to extend that with wireless option you could use a BTM222 Bluetooth Module, that offers a wireless serial connection.
Only a few further connections and an initialisation String for the BTM is required.
When planning this connections at your startup schematic, it's only a thing of programming.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back