Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Interfacing SD cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

edeca

I have just Googled a bit and it seems there are a variety of options for using SD cards in embedded projects.

If you have used one before, did you bother with a filesystem?

It seems the easiest way is to write raw data to the card in blocks that match the native block-size (512 bytes). This is obviously much easier than trying to implement a file system on the card, but means that a PC wont be able to read it without either:

• a program that has raw access to the card
  • a serial interface to the uC and a program that understands the data format

Thinking out loud, this site seems cool:

An I/O independent implementation of FAT. Neat!

A lot of people do use it as raw flash without a file system.

I never did use it as a straight raw flash device, since the first project I used with one I preferred to have file access to. I've used the library that you linked to (FatFS) on several uC's and it has worked well for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back