Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

interfacing parallel port

Status
Not open for further replies.

tota

hi every one i need your help in a small project
i am a beginner in electronics i designed a fsk modem and i want an interfacing program for parallel port using visual basic as a refrence to start my work.

in the designed modem, bits are send in parallel "2 bits" each time and i knew that the printer port has 8 bits for data, is there is any way to take 2 bits and leave the other bits unused without effect the actual data??.

at the end if you know a good website for learning visual basic post it and i will be thankful.

hi every one i need your help in a small project
i am a beginner in electronics i designed a fsk modem and i want an interfacing program for parallel port using visual basic as a refrence to start my work.

in the designed modem, bits are send in parallel "2 bits" each time and i knew that the printer port has 8 bits for data, is there is any way to take 2 bits and leave the other bits unused without effect the actual data??.

at the end if you know a good website for learning visual basic post it and i will be thankful.

hi,
Which version of VB and what operating system do you have on your PC... XP etc...??

hi,
Which version of VB and what operating system do you have on your PC... XP etc...??

i am good in programming with c,c++,assembly and java
but i have a little information about visual basic you can tell me which version is better

i have 2 pc's, first one XP and the other windows7

i am good in programming with c,c++,assembly and java
but i have a little information about visual basic you can tell me which version is better

i have 2 pc's, first one XP and the other windows7

I use VB5 which is old, there are VB6 and VB.net, any VB will write to the PC parallel port, but you will require DLL's in your Windows/System32 folder to enable access to the printer port, when using XP and possibly Win7?

the operating system is not a problem i can change it any time
ok i will try to learn visual basic.net, i will come back soon after reading some tutorials

ok i need you to help me with this by now

"in the designed modem, bits are send in parallel "2 bits" each time and i knew that the printer port has 8 bits for data, is there is any way to take 2 bits and leave the other bits unused without effect the actual data??"

Hi

To add a little to what Eric has posted. I have used VB6 as well as some of the VB.NET variations. I am not a programmer by any standard but stumble along. Years ago communication with the parallel port wasn't an issue but as we moved into the more secure operating systems like Windows XP, Windows Vista and now Windows 7 it becomes more difficult.

First things first. As to a good starter version of Visual Basic Microsoft offers express version(s) of Visual Basic, C#, C++ and other software which can be found here. I suggest the VB Express 2010 download.

Then I think this link may be helpful. As to separating the bits you could use parsing but I think if you read the code samples you will devise other ways to get what you want.

You may also find these links helpful and useful:

This link is helpful as well as **broken link removed**

Hope that helps a little.

Ron

I have a "c" program that I wrote to communicate through the parallel port. I can post it if you're interested. But since you're developing in VB, it might not be relevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back