Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Interfacing analog sensors to USB I/O board

Status
Not open for further replies.

eljainc

Hello,

I have a couple of sensors that I'm interfacing to an A/D board, a USB based multifunction (analog voltage in, DIO, temperature sensor) device.

I have an analog voltage sensor and an air speed sensor,both which output voltages that are 0-5VDC.

When I connect them to this multifunction IO board, the voltages reported are spurious with random noise. I have tried another one of these boards to see if it was a problem with the device, but it does the same thing.

Is there anything that I can do to filter out this noise? Perhaps a resistor or capacitor?

Thanks.
Mike

What interface board? What does the documentation for the board say about connecting sensors? What specific sensors are you using?

the IO board is a DLP IO20 module. There is nothing in the documentation that specifically mentions sensors.

The sensors we are connecting are: Analog Devices AD590 temperature sensor and Degree Controls air speed sensor
FS333.

How exactly are you configuring and connecting the Analog Devices AD590 temperature sensor? Are you setting it up exactly as per figure 9 of this data sheet? The AD590 is a two wire current loop device. The temperature range of -55 to 150 C works out to be 218uA to 423uA which is pretty low current. In figure 9 the loop current is passed through a 950Ω fixed resistor in series with a 100Ω series trimmer pot for calibration. When all is said and done give or take -55 degrees C = 218.5 mV and 150 degrees C = 423.15 mV. Your A to D input is 0 to 5 volts and your entire span has you below .5 volt or 10% of span.

The analog in is a 10 bit device which presents another problem of sorts. The 10 bits gives you 2^10 or 1024 quantization levels. What this all means is your ADC voltage resolution becomes:

5 volts - 0 volts / 1024 = 5 / 1024 = 4.882 mV so the best the system can resolve is 4.882 mV.

Your total temperature span is 423.15 mV - 218.15 mV = 205 mV so now your temperature span is -55 C to 150 C for a span of 205 degrees C. That will give you about 1 mV per degree C. On a good day that is about 5 Degree C resolution. That does not include system noise in the ADC. Not very good at all assuming I figured this correctly. Again, assuming you are setup per figure 9 to get your signal to your ADC.

I could not find a data sheet for the airspeed?

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back