Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Interfacing an LCD with the 68HC11

Status
Not open for further replies.

chixdigit

I've been trying this for the last couple days to no avail. So I figured I'd give the forum a shot. I have all lcd data pins going to Port C and R/W,RS,E to Port A3,A4,A5 respectively. I enable DDRC to output and pulsed E before any changes were made and check to make sure the screen wasn't busy. I basically followed the datasheet but apparently I'm still missing something. If anyone could throw in any advice or suggestions I'd be much obliged!

PS... I'm not looking for anything fancy just clear the screen and write a character to it...hell if I could get the screen cleared I think I'd be styling.

Here is the data sheet for the lcd: https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2006/08/14194op.pdf

OK
I think there might be a chip select(CS-bar) in there somewhere on the LCD.
RS selects either the address of a register in the LCD or the data to be written to a previously addressed register. After setting up the data on PORTC and the CS-bar, and the R/W-bar(low for a write) and RS you need to take E high and then low. The data should be latched into the LCD on the trailing edge of E.

If you have not allowed for a contrast adjustment you may not think the screen is clear even though it is. You should be able to make the display clear at power up without sending any data to it using the contrast adjust pot all by itself.

Oh I have the display showing something. Initially it shows lines 1 and 3 as black squares (Cleared). This is normal, I had this lcd working with the 6809 processor but that was a couple years ago and has all seeped outta my head. I was actually able to find a page that actually gives you the assembly code and pin outs for the 6811 and 12 to an lcd. Strangely it doesn't work, I tried my best to compare the code to the lcd data sheet and it seemed to all check out but I have to be honoust this is not my major... I'm more of a hobbiest. If you want to check it out here is the link:

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back