Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Interfacing a PS/2 Keyboard for homebrew CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

bitbyteword3

I'm designing an 8-bit CMOS CPU. I would like to interface a PS/2 keyboard as input for the computer. I would like to let it have 8-bit output (the scancode). What is a parity bit?

Is it just me?, or do others think it's strange that someone 'designing a CPU' doesn't know what a parity bit is.

It's like designing a car and not knowing what a wheel is.

I'm thinking of using the 4034 since I want a parallel output. Is this good? How will I get the scancode?

hi,
Do you have Visual Basic 5 or 6 on your PC.?
I have a simple ATKbd simulator source code, [ about 5 years old] written in VB, which you could use to work on the key codes.

You realise you need to send: key down code, key code, key up code for each key, also all the Caps/Alt keys etc.??

EDIT:
Note the HEX key codes on the key tops of this image.

Attachments

• AAesp16.gif
    AAesp16.gif
    21.5 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back