Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

interfacing 8051 with usb

Status
Not open for further replies.

kantak

i want to interface a 8051 microcontroller with a bluetooth dongle or module which has a usb port. can it be done or will i need to go in for a Bluetooth device with a rs232 port? also will a rs232-usb converter solve my prob? how do i go about it? please help me out guys

8bit controllers like the 8051 don't make good Host USB controllers. Any decent bluetooth module will have a UART port that can be connected to the UART on your 8051.

Sparkfun.com has some $80 Bluetooth modules.

so using the UART obviates the need for a rs232 or usb port while connecting it to a bluetooth module???
also which would u suggest , a module or a dongle?

The UART does all the serializing and sending of data but at logic levels. RS232 is the same but with different voltages.

Modules are usualy cheaper. Serial dongles are really hart to find.

Check out the module I suggested in my previous post.

hey thanks a lot for your help..
so i am gonna use an 8051 chip with an adc to get the sensor output, i.e. the heart rate ......pulses corresponding to each occuring heart beat. after converting these analog pulses to a digital output, it will be given to the microcontroller. next the microcontroller has to count the no of pulses occuring in a time period of 60 seconds to see whther the heart rate is above or below the desired rate. now 8051 has 2 inbuilt timer/counters. can i use both of them simultaneously, one for the 60 sec period and the other to count te no of heart pulses?

next, if the heart rate is above the normal, the 8051 has to create an alarm msg or file which wil include patient name or id along with their rate. this has to be transmitted to the bluetooth enabled mobile thru the module. the bluetooth enabled mobile in this case is gonna be NOKIA 6600.
as suggested by you, i am gonna connect the bluetooth module via UART tto the 8051. can i send the generated file over this connection?
while transmitting it to 6600 what factors are to be taken into consideration? at the reciever end, i.e. 6600? will it accept the file as sent by the 8051? or do i need to do some programming?
is 6600 compatible with A/T commands?

i am sorry for soo many questions....but i really need ur help

thanks a ton for your time

regards,
abhimanyu

Bluetooth has a mode that lets it function like a simple serial port. You send it data through the UART and that same data comes out through a COM port on the PC. You can see the data using Hyperterminal. The serial port doesn't have any built in protocols. Data just goes in one end and comes out the other; what happens to that data is up to your software on either end.

You will have to read the data sheet for your bluetooth module to see how to tell it to emulate the serial port.

i dont want to involve the pc at all. the bluetooth module should directly send data to the bluetooth mobile.

I don't know anything about interfacing bluetooth with cell phones. You'll have to read up on Nokia's documentation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back