Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Interfacing 16f877 with external memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fayez

Hii all,
we are required to connect a 16f877 microcontroller & an external memory
i'd like to know the type of memory and are there conditions on using a certain size of memory or we can use any sizy ??
thanks in advance

SPI Interface

Hi

You may find this is of some help **broken link removed**

i need to make a tempreture sensor usnig an external memory and an external UART

Are you sure you're talking about the correct processor?, neither of those are required on a PIC - and I think you would struggle even finding an external UART that you could connect to a PIC (and it would be completely pointless).

It sounds more like you're supposed to be using an old 8051 or something?.

i need to make a tempreture sensor usnig an external memory and an external UART

you will hardly measure temperature using ram :) ... so I assume you want to log the temp data and retrieve that data via serial port. You can use the i2c bus to connect i2c eprom and i2c temperature sensor. You can also use 1wire interface to connect eprom and temperature sensor, or you can mix them, connect eprom on i2c and temperature sensor for 1wire for example. You can find examples on nigels tutorials on how to work with i2c.

I'm not sure what you mean by "external uart" as you will need "externally" the level shifter (to shift from TTL to RS232 levels and vv) but you do not need external UART module, you can implement serial comm in software or use uC with hardware usart (16F877 has hardware usart so you only need level shifter like max232)

Depending on the language of your choice, you will have libraries for all that you need (i2c, 1wire, serial)...

A thrifty programmer could use some of the 16F877's Flash for logging temperature if they didn't need that much and the main program was small.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back