Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Interface to PCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks like you are on the right track.

I do not know if there is much difference between the chpsets from the various vendors, but finding the one which best suites you needs could pay off big time.

3v0

EDIT: Nigel does make a good point. You need a good reason
for attempting this. Perhaps the interface chips reduce
the complexity enough to make it workable, but do not know.
That is why I suggested you spend some time looking at them.

Last edited:
Ok i might not get into it then but just wanted to say:

Why would you want to do any such thing?, it sounds completely pointless?.

Creating a PCI card is also VERY, VERY complicated.

Wow... i never thought of you to say something like that. Why does it sound pointless?

Alot of things are pointless but still are done. Its pointless to have a parallel port on a Home PC but heh its still there isnt it. Its pointless to buy cheap 99 Cent 30 Pack of AA batteries but people still do... Its pointless for someone to have a credit card and no job if they cant pay the bill but heh you understand...

Im not trying to say nothing bad here i just didnt like the way that came out. PCI cards may be complex but so is building circuits to control alot of the things we use.

Wow... i never thought of you to say something like that. Why does it sound pointless?

Alot of things are pointless but still are done. Its pointless to have a parallel port on a Home PC but heh its still there isnt it. Its pointless to buy cheap 99 Cent 30 Pack of AA batteries but people still do... Its pointless for someone to have a credit card and no job if they cant pay the bill but heh you understand...

None of those are pointless, WHY do you want to connect a PIC to a PCI card? - what would it achieve? - that's why it's pointless :D

cheap 99 Cent 30 Pack of AA batteries would last you less than 1 day in a mouse or remote control so VERY pointless.

Um... what is PCI for? Communicating to the outside world i assume. Are you implying that i can control things straight from PCI and no need for a pic? So i can have some leds connected straight to pci and use PC to control them? I doubt that i would need a controller of some sort i assume. It just seemed like a interesting thing to do.

Learn USB that'll keep your head busy and is a great way to connect your computer to a microcontroller. USB bitwhacker is a good place to start.

Im still learning that also. Its that i like to dabble as to not get to tired of trying to learn one thing i learn a bit then jump into something to clear my head and get a new perspective then continue with normal learning :D

Hey bill any new dev kits comming soon? Still use the junebug for all my 5v programming. I even ordered some of those beautiful 12mm Omron B3F-4000 tactiles. I never seen them before the junebug; well only the 6mmx6mm i love the big buttons. Maybe its because of my big fingers :D but heh

Im planning on making some of my own type dev boards or trainer boards.

cheap 99 Cent 30 Pack of AA batteries would last you less than 1 day in a mouse or remote control so VERY pointless.

Remote controls is an ideal environment for batteries, even cheap ones last a year or so. But personally I would advise always fitting alkaline batteries, as conventional ones leak far too easily.

Um... what is PCI for? Communicating to the outside world i assume. Are you implying that i can control things straight from PCI and no need for a pic? So i can have some leds connected straight to pci and use PC to control them? I doubt that i would need a controller of some sort i assume. It just seemed like a interesting thing to do.

PCI is an interface to hardware - not to a further processor - if you wanted to control LED's via an I/O card you could quite easily do so, but PCI is so much more difficult than ISA, and you would need to write system drivers for the OS, another very complicated task.

I can't conceive of any reason to want to place a PIC on a PCI card?, why not just connect it to the computer via serial, parallel or (more common now and faster) USB.

Hey.

I found a this link, thought it might help. The guy used a gal and some logic 74-series chips, not a PIC, but i thought it might help give you a better understanding of the PCI bus.

ELM - PCI PIO Board

Daniel

Edit: Forgot the link.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back