Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Interesting Meltdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, an induction heater. The thing it seems to fail to mention (though admittedly I only skimmed through it) is that it requires HIGH FREQUENCY alternating current. You can't just plug it into the wall socket (for several reasons). Definitely a fun project though. I remember seeing an induction heater set up in much the same way that was able to turn ice cubes red-hot before they melted. Think the video's on youtube somewhere.

Thanks for sharing!
Matt

EDIT: Just read the last part more thoroughly--they are using an inverter to supply AC current at 204 kHz. They DID mention the high frequency, I just didn't read it carefully enough :rolleyes:

Why not me?

Why I cannot see the video, not even the frame where it should show up? Just a blank white part after "Enjoy".

Java, ???Flash, Firefox or what?

Last edited:
Why I cannot see the video, not even the frame where it should show up? Just a blank white part after "Enjoy".

Java, ???Flash, Firefox or what?

Yup, Adobe Flash.

Adobe Flash uninstalled and reinstalled. OK now.

Why the coil has that extra reverse half loop?

Last edited:
Adobe Flash uninstalled and reinstalled. OK now.

Why the coil has that extra reverse half loop?

I think it's just there so that both ends are on the same side of the coil, to go to the driver. It has no real purpose otherwise.

Off to a nap but a question first...

What could be a reasonable amplifier stage to drive such a coil at that frequency?

How to guess on the current (power) applied? I ignore everything (and more :confused:) on that subject.

What could be a reasonable amplifier stage to drive such a coil at that frequency?

How to guess on the current (power) applied? I ignore everything (and more :confused:) on that subject.

By "amplifier stage" do you mean "transformer stage"? I have often heard of people using inverters or even automotive ignition coils to drive the coil. I think the webpage said an inverter was used for this particular one.

Wouldn't know where to begin guessing about the power usage.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back