Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Interactive R2D2 system issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wraith

Hello all!

Just registered in order to discuss my first robot project. After not setting aside time for the last 15 years, I finally have started.

I am thinking of using my Tamiya tank track base (dual motor), PIC micros, Solarbotics motor controller, ultrasonic movement sensors, PIR sensors and voice recorder kit.

For comparison, and as a base, I am using my Interactive R2D2 for ideas. This has helped me decide what to do with my bot, but I could use some input from others, experience or non-experience robot builders.

Though R2 is my favorite robot to date, it is obvious there are some downsides to him;
* Does not "hear" well in loud, or even semi-noisy environments.
* Does not "hear" commands while moving
* Sometimes bumps into things due to angle of sensor
* Tends to wander aimlessly and lack response.

Other than those issues (that I can think of right now) he's great! So, taking these into consideration, my bot will be;
* Not taking voice commands
* Will be displaying (LEDs) and making sounds to communicate his status frequently.
* focus on sensors for 'smart' navigation and obstacle avoidance.
* some kind of audio detection for better response to environment

I will lurk here for any other comments you may have about R2. That will help me as I move into different phases of my design.

THANKS!

In general, you should do a web search to answer your own questions, but here ya go;

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back