Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Inter-compatibility of CVSD's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HHaase

I'm looking to redesign an old audio speech board, and there were two variations using either a HC55516 or MC3417 CVSD chip to synthesize the voice based on the digital data input. As far as I can find, neither of these CVSD chips are available anymore except the occasional source at $25+ per chip. They also used the same EPROM data.

I did find there is a CMX639 CVSD chip available. About half the price or better, and I have found a few sources for them. But I really don't know enough of how CVSD's operate, but I wonder if an appropriate decoder circuit may be possible to use the CMX639 in place of an HC55516 or MC3417? I don't need to do any encoding at all.

Would be open to other CVSD chip suggestions, just not finding many out there.

-Hans

Well, found an answer, and the answer is yes. The CMX639, apparently, can decode the same CVSD encoded data as the HC55516/MC3417 when set to a 3-bit algorith.

Sweet, makes my life easier for sure.

-Hans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back