Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Inter-Arduino Serial Communication. Simple, right? I can't figure it out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich D.

Hi all,

I'm sure it's just me but I can't seem to figure out this Arduino software too easily. I find the arduino site's examples incomplete and unclear. Now, please realize I have done some amazing things with software both high and low-level over the years, but for some reason this simple task seems to elude me. What I am hoping to do is simple:

Serial communication; individual bytes and possibly strings (I'll take either!) between two Arduinos. One is your basic Arduino - the Leonardo, and the other is a MEGA2560. I'm looking to send/receive bytes that are not always visible ASCII characters - anything from 00 to FF (or 0-255).

If there is somebody out there who can create a very simple, no-frills example of transmit and receive code for each of these machines (if there is a difference), please, please, PLEASE, post it here for me to consume. (I don't sound too desperate, do I?)

Yes, I did use the same baud rate - 19.2k, and yes I did connect a common ground between the two boards. Tx->Rx and Rx->Tx. It's just the software is made to be so simple that I can't seem to make it work! I am also aware that the USB to program it and other hardware may share the same lines, and something about the Leonardo has both Serial and Serial1 (though I forget which is which).

Many thanks in advance for any useful information....you are awesome!

If you are having a bit of trouble with Arduino playground.. Try www.tronixstuff.com..

There are a lot more examples.... There is always Adafruitt www.adafruit.com... Even more stuff..

The best way to use the serial RS232 for inter chip communication for newbies is always a text based protocol..

send ascii text to one... and convert to integer! and visa versa... The libraries almost always include the string library..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back