Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Intelligent traffic lights

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone with an idea on this?

Welcome to the forum! You will not get many helpful responses with a question like that. You need to provide a lot more information before people have any idea how to start answering your question. There are a lot of ways to do something like this.

What is your experience level in programming? What languages and architectures are you familiar with?

What kind of hardware can you use?

What is your budget?

What is your deadline?

Is this a school project or is it for actual use on a real road system?

Torben

I say we just chain trained monkeys in a box with buttons to turn the lights on and off and see what happens. Then you'll see an intelligent traffic light!

Anyone with an idea on this?
http://www.streetsmartllc.com/
you really need to define "smart"

there are already "smart" traffic signals: there are switches in the road to trip the cycle, and most have different cycles programmed by what time of day it is.

The answer to the question I think you are trying to ask is "no", you will not see them any time soon. It takes a lot of processing power to analyze the video signals to determine how to compensate for traffic conditions.

When you do that two things happen: the "custom" software/hardware vendor gets greedy, and reliability goes down the toilet.

http://www.streetsmartllc.com/
you really need to define "smart"

there are already "smart" traffic signals: there are switches in the road to trip the cycle, and most have different cycles programmed by what time of day it is.

The answer to the question I think you are trying to ask is "no", you will not see them any time soon. It takes a lot of processing power to analyze the video signals to determine how to compensate for traffic conditions.

When you do that two things happen: the "custom" software/hardware vendor gets greedy, and reliability goes down the toilet.

hi,
I like it.:)

In London they use CCTV at all the traffic light controlled junctions, connected to a central office.
About a dozen or so guys are used to control the lights, it works fairly well.

As you say, a lot of processing power.

well the least you can do is try googling it so you have an idea of what you are up for.another guy here also started a post and then abandoned it because it was too complex.you will find a lot of hits.try to understand them if not then everybody here will be happy to guide you.

In our area they are starting to install traffic lights that have a single camera with an extreme fisheye lens that's looking straight down in the middle of the intersection. With the fisheye wide field of view (near 180 degrees) it can see all four points of the intersection at once. The computer controlling the lights has an algorithm to correct for the distortion of the lens so it can properly identify the vehicles coming into the intersection. It even will delay the green light if it detects that a vehicle appears to be running the red light.

That's a bad idea, delaying the green light is just going to give people that run red lights an excuse to run them more frequently if they know that and they will figure it out.

hi,
I like it.:)

In London they use CCTV at all the traffic light controlled junctions, connected to a central office.
About a dozen or so guys are used to control the lights, it works fairly well.

As you say, a lot of processing power.

Here in my town, we have "red light cameras". Base on the name, you know what that's about. Generating revenue!!!:eek:
Is it true, that in London they have every part of the city covered with cameras. London uses facial recognition, is that right?

That's a bad idea, delaying the green light is just going to give people that run red lights an excuse to run them more frequently if they know that and they will figure it out.
I suppose they'll have to also install a red light camera at these intersections to minimize that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back