Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Instrumantation amplifier datasheet reading help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Forum,

I need to interface LT1101 LTC IA for a circuit. I power the IA with 12V single powersupply. However after reading the datasheet I couldnt get a clue as to what CMV can the IA input pins could handel . The amplifier datasheet is here ; Linear Technology - LT1101 - Precision, Micropower, Single Supply Instrumentation Amplifier (Fixed Gain = 10 or 100)

Thanks in Advance
-D

hi,
Look at these two images from the d/s, one is for a 15/-15v supply and the other for a single 5V supply

Attachments

• AAesp01.gif
    AAesp01.gif
    45.7 KB · Views: 149
  • AAesp02.gif
    AAesp02.gif
    57.2 KB · Views: 151
  • AAesp03.gif
    AAesp03.gif
    18.3 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
If you download the full datasheet, not just the short version
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2010/06/lt1101fa.pdf

At the top of page 2 you will find the following:

ABSOLUTE AXI U RATI GS W W W U​
Supply Voltage ......................................................​
±22V
Differential Input Voltage .......................................
±36V
Input Voltage ............... Equal to Positive Supply Voltage
..........10V Below Negative Supply Voltage

Output Short Circuit Duration .......................... Indefinite

Does that help?

JimB

Excuse the wonky cut and paste!
That should say Absolute Maximum Ratings

Hi,

Thanks for the replies . I know these specs , but as I power only from 12VDC and 0V as said in my first reply. I cannot makeout a spec for this ,all the details given are related to either 5V or +/-15V . But what about if we use a 12V powersupply?

Hi,

Thanks for the replies . I know these specs , but as I power only from 12VDC and 0V as said in my first reply. I cannot makeout a spec for this ,all the details given are related to either 5V or +/-15V . But what about if we use a 12V powersupply?

hi,
If you extrapolate the limits for the 5V supply and the dual, it gives a value of approx +Vss-2v and 0V + 0.7v
Look at the 3rd image graph I posted for a dual
So I would expect for a 12V supply a CMV range of approx +10V and +0.7V.
Can you post a circuit or some details of what you are trying to do.?

hi,
If you extrapolate the limits for the 5V supply and the dual, it gives a value of approx +Vss-2v and 0V + 0.7v
Look at the 3rd image graph I posted for a dual
So I would expect for a 12V supply a CMV range of approx +10V and +0.7V.
Can you post a circuit or some details of what you are trying to do.?

Hi,
Thanks that is helpful . I dont have a circuit yet but only analyzing the possiblity. I am getting a diferential signal from a force sensor which shows a common mode signal of 5.5V and more.

**broken link removed**
The above image further explanes it . Does minimum CMV vs O/P voltage means that it can sustain an 'x' output while having 'y' as CMV at its input?

I have a further concern datasheet quotes
"In single supply applications, both input and output voltages swing to within a few millivolts of ground" here shall we take a factor of 180mV to remain in the safe limits .

Hi,
Thanks that is helpful . I dont have a circuit yet but only analyzing the possiblity. I am getting a diferential signal from a force sensor which shows a common mode signal of 5.5V and more.

The above image further explanes it . Does minimum CMV vs O/P voltage means that it can sustain an 'x' output while having 'y' as CMV at its input?

I have a further concern datasheet quotes
"In single supply applications, both input and output voltages swing to within a few millivolts of ground" here shall we take a factor of 180mV to remain in the safe limits .

hi,
I have marked the graph for CMV versus output voltage at G=100 and G1=10
With a CMV of approx 5.5V and a 12V supply you are well within the CMV range and the amplifier should work OK.
With respect to the output swing, its dependent upon the output load.
If the lower output limit is required to work to a 0V level, then a dual supply is required.

Whats the output of the amplifier connected to.?

Attachments

• 2018-gghi.jpg
    2018-gghi.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 155
hi,
I have marked the graph for CMV versus output voltage at G=100 and G1=10
With a CMV of approx 5.5V and a 12V supply you are well within the CMV range and the amplifier should work OK.
With respect to the output swing, its dependent upon the output load.
If the lower output limit is required to work to a 0V level, then a dual supply is required.

Whats the output of the amplifier connected to.?

Its proposed to be connected to a 12bit ADC .

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back