Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

input jack going into op-amp - floating when disconnected?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyAyXGhF

Hey all,
Sorry if the subject is misleading, it's a pretty simple question.

I have a small amplifier circuit using a pair of op-amps. Occasionally the input source (impedance 10K-100K) to this amplifier can be disconnected, what is the best practice for this? If the input source is disconnected, the first op-amp stage is left floating.. which isn't good I'm guessing.

Do I just use a large value resistor (1M or more?) and tie the op-amp input to ground so even when the source input is disconnected it isn't left floating?

There should be an internal DC path to supply the input bias current to the opamp regardless if the input source is connected or not. Think about how you would do it if the input source had to be AC coupled through an input DC blocking capacitor...

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back