Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

inline instruction-fix mechine cycle-variable machine cycle

Status
Not open for further replies.

diod

hi
could you explain me what are these in computer architecture:
inline instruction?
fix mechine cycle?
variable machine cycle
best regards

1. In-line instructions are assembler language instructions often used for speed in for example a C program.
2. Fixed machine instructions take the same time to execute regardless. e.g mov A,#1, rrc A on an 8051
3. Variable can take any amount of cycles depending on certain register values e.g LDIR on a Z80

Here is a better explanation of #1: https://www.electro-tech-online.com...5_201-1520May20classandobjects_inlinefunc.pdf

What it basically means is that the assembly code of an "inline" procedure is inserted for every instance of it's use. It won't be called as a subroutine.

Inline code can also mean interspersing assembly with C programs.

The end result is indeed faster execution.

Your explanation if far more intuitive than the PDF link that is more about syntax than explanation.

Thanks. That's why I added my interpretation because it wasn't clear. As you said it was the syntax. It's good to have both.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back