Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

infrared sensor project

Status
Not open for further replies.

jordanau

Hello my name is Jordan and I am new to these forums. I am not experienced in designing electronics. I repaired microwaves for nearly 5 years (all of the way through high school) so I am comfortable around soldering, electronics terms, etc. Sorry for the long info I am just trying to give as much info as possible like the sticky says.

I have a need for a mechanism that is triggered by an infrared sensor. Basically the sensor needs a range of only 1 cm or so. Just enough for a finger to pass by it. This device cannot be large, about the size of a small cellular phone. Here is a QUICK and DIRTY concept sketch of the circuit. I am quite sure it is extremely erroneous even now :D

**broken link removed**

This should be relatively simple I think. Basically the circuit is open unless the switch is on and the infrared sensor is triggered. When both are triggered, the current from the battery will operate a small motor or piston-like device.

If anyone can point me to projects that are similar. that would be helpful. Also if anyone has any advice on the project that is good to. As I continue to research (google :) ) the project I will be adding more to the forum.

The last thing I want to say is that if I end up making this correctly, I could have a possible business interest in it (I am a university student by the way, an individual not an employee for a corporation). As a result I might not be able to answer all questions. I think it is best that I be upfront and honest and if you would not be interested in helping me as a result of this I understand. I believe it is better that I say this upfront rather than lie to you and say I am making something similar to what I want and have y'all basically build it for me. Like I said if anyone could point me in the right direction to similar sounding projects that would be incredible.

Thank you again
Jordan

Infra-red switches usually are tuned to a frequency around 30Khz in order not to respond to ambient light. Radio Shack used to sell one for about 3 bucks, but similar units are available. You would need to modulate the IR transmitter, probably drive it with a 30kHz oscillator. I used the Radio Shack unit in a Pinewood Derby timer which is on my website: www.geocities.com/russlk. You may have to copy and paste the URL in order for it to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back