Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

INFRARED REMOTE CONTROLS... in conclusion, which one's more common - 940nm or 880nm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

flx

Ah, the standards and the lack thereof!

It took a while to figure out that 38 KHz is the single most common carrier frequency for consumer electronics. What I can't seem to find is the infrared wavelength that is the most used in sensors - whatever source I come across is vague - anywhere between λ=880nm and λ=950nm

So which one is it? I need to finalize a universal remote transmitter design and I have to choose what LEDs to use. Or, does it not matter much? Are IR phototransistors "wider band" somehow? Even if they are, they must have a sweet spot but what is it for most of them?

Your input is greatly appreciated!

It doesn't matter, as long as your emitter LED's response peak matches the receiver photo-transistor's peak.

Get and read the data sheet(s).

Last edited:
Yeah, well, as I was saying, this will be a universal remote (or as close as possible) that will control a variety of devices already on the market. Thus it's not my call to choose the receivers; they're already out in the wild and you probably have some of them in your house.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back