Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Infrared remote controlled car

Status
Not open for further replies.

sundar

I AM A 3rd YEAR ECE STUDENT.I HAVE DOUBTS ABOUT THE MOTOR CONNECTION.
1) HOW THE MOTOR CONNECTION IS DONE?
2 ) WHETHER I NEED FOUR DC MOTORS TO CONTROL FOUR WHEELS OR ELSE I CAN USE A SINGLE MOTOR ITSELF TO CONTROL FOUR WHEELS MOVEMENT.?
PLZ HELP ME?

Attachments

• infrared toy car.pdf
    56.5 KB · Views: 645
Why do people insist on typing in all caps? ....

EDIT: Before anything is said, this post IS useful... It helps all of us because we don't want to see posts in all caps and therefore his post won't get as much attention as it could if it were not in all caps.

Last edited:
I find it funny that he is supposedly a third year ECE student, yet can't figure out his own answer to a relatively simple problem; I am not sure which country or university he is at, but if this is any indication of the quality of students these institutions are churning out, I fear for our future.

I'm not 100% sure what he's asking but I'm new here and have very little electronics experience but I'm pretty sure the answers to those questions are:

1) + to - or - to + depending on which direction you want it to go? lol (I'm probably wrong here)
2) This depends on how you want to use the wheels I guess.. If you want them all to drive constantly I'm sure you could figure out a way to gear all of the wheels to move from one motor. I am also certain that it wouldn't be extremely easy (Unless the car itself is a prebuilt thing built to accept this type of single motor input). If you want them to drive separately and possibly use wheel direction to help turn and pivot then you will almost definitely need more than one motor (still could figure out a way, I'm certain, to gear this but I don't think it'd be practical at all...)

Like I said, I'm in no way an expert so I'm probably wrong but... Maybe it will help out a little...

@cr0sh, And sadly, this is the way the world is going. We have kids graduating from high school without the ability to read and parents afraid to keep score during soccer games for fear their kids will get sad when they lose. We're doomed haha

Last edited:
As with all those Indian-designed circuits, they are always poorly designed. The circuit is over-designed and uses an emitter follower that will deliver less than 6v to the motor.
The IR receiver already produces rail-to-rail output and the output pulses can be integrated to produce a clock-pulse for the 4017, and eliminate the 4047.
With the question being asked, this project is far too complex for a 3rd year electronics student.
He should be connecting a LED to a battery and sorting out what value of resistor to use.
Imagine his capability after completing his course!!
Doesn't it make you wonder how these students passed the entry exam.

The problem with this circuit is that it only energizes one motor in one direction! Pretty useless for a RC car!

What about steering and forward and reverse!

If you want to use IR to control a car, I would use a digital circuit that decodes the IR codes (like a TV does) and then you can program forward/reverse left and right etc.

A small microprocessor chip would work fine for this or a PIC chip etc. It could also then output PWM to give proportional control of the motors!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back