Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Infrared Light emitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Imnewtothis

Hey all! It has been a long time since I have posted anything. So I thought I would get back on. Anyway, I read about a hack to be able to see Infrared light on a USB webcam on hack a day. So I sucessfully completed the hack. But now I would like to build an IR emitter to place into the webcam body so as to use it as a night vision camera.

So basically, I am looking for a simple, but yet powerful IR light circuit that can run off of the USB 5v. DC power running to the camera. Is there a simple way to achieve this?

I used a stereo remote in a dark room with the cam, but obviously it sends short bursts, and I need it to be constantly on.

Any help will be appreciated!! Thank you!

**broken link removed**

These are $1.60 each ($1.28 each if you buy 10). I'm not sure how much current can pass through USB, but these draw 100 mA.

They have a wide beam angle (80 degrees).

Hope that helps,

-Mike

Picture of a camera I through together to watch for rats on my back porch. The B/W board camera was ultra cheap ($6, I think no lens, CS mount). You can get IR LEDs for much less the Digikey, 50 cents or less surplus. I'd suggest a narrower angle if you want some distance with the webcam. Too much IR up close might wash out the image (little bit of a problem with my carport camera).

Should see how much current your camera needs from USB, before adding a bunch of those 100 mA LEDs, might add up quick... think you get about 350 ma out of a USB port.

Attachments

• 100_0085.JPG
    100_0085.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 190
I've played with this = much fun - take a look at a new $20 bill! also look at your striped tie. ANyway, more light = better picture and longer wavelength = less visible to rats (but I bet they see IR better than humans do!) but longer wavelength = decreased photo detection by CCD and poorer resoultion. So may I suggest, use a seperate light source - a nice gel cell motorcycle battery should give many hours of high current output and you could charge it during the day with a photocell!

walshlg said:
I've played with this = much fun - take a look at a new $20 bill! also look at your striped tie. ANyway, more light = better picture and longer wavelength = less visible to rats (but I bet they see IR better than humans do!) but longer wavelength = decreased photo detection by CCD and poorer resoultion. So may I suggest, use a seperate light source - a nice gel cell motorcycle battery should give many hours of high current output and you could charge it during the day with a photocell!

The rats just don't come every night. Haven't figured it all out yet. Jake, my 1 year old black Lab knows the difference between cats and rats. Depending on which one I say, before opening the door and he goes shooting out into the yard. For cats, he quickly hits the three most common places where he usually finds them. Rats, he starts checking around the outside of the porch. Either way, if he doesn't find anything in the first few seconds, he'll check around the rest of the yard, still nothing, he'll pee on a few things, then back in the house. If we had a visitor, he'll hang out at the strongest point, and I'll have to call him in. There are some rat picture from the RatCam, in my 'Rat-zapper' thread...

Anyway, for the OP, I just want to share some of my experiences with IR illumination. I've built 5 spotlights so far. Will admit to stealing the PCB artwork for my last two, from the kit assembly instructions I found on the web. My first two are in the carport, of my own design, and a little too bright and wash out on light and reflective surfaces (faces). Could have just changed the resistors to tone them down a little, or add a resistor in series with the power supply, but I sealed the lights up with hot glue, and used staples to hand the cables. Just pointed them a little off to the sides instead... Guessing the OP's webcam is color with IR filter removed. Not sure how sensitive it is to IR. My B/Ws were meant for low light, and are very sensitive.

Imnewtothis

Check out: https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~johnny/projects/wii/

Johnny has hacked a Nitendo Wii Remote (Bluetooth IR Sensor & Tracker).

There is a massive on line collaborative project on how to use and develop this system include VR tools and Interactive Whiteboards.

Checkout the forum: https://www.wiimoteproject.com/

You will find a solution to your problem and some really cool places to take your new found knowledge.

benpaddlejones

Last edited:
benpaddlejones said:
Imnewtothis

Check out: https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~johnny/projects/wii/

Johnny has hacked a Nitendo Wii Remote (Bluetooth IR Sensor & Tracker).

There is a massive onlien collaborative project on how to use and develop this system include VR tools and Interactive Whiteboards.

Checkout the forum: https://www.wiimoteproject.com/

You will find a solution to your problem and some really cool places to take your new found knowledge.

benpaddlejones

Thanks for the links, I'm going to have to try that out now

:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back