Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

InfraRed Controlled Fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cupid

Hi.My classmates and I have to build a IF remote control fan for a project to get our diploma.I've done some research on goggle and also on this forums but i'm still not totally sure what to do..There is a basic diagram of what i know we need below.For the encoder and decoder i've figured we can use microcontrollers to program a signal(eg 2 high means go to speed 2 on the fan) and then the decoder would see 2 signals and send a high to the realy..I noticed all the circuits i've seen online are a bit different from this and also invlove 555 timers..Should this be a concern.AlsoI'm having trouble locating a micro controller as i've never worked with one before so i'm not sure if i need flash or eprom.ANd exactly how to program it.Any help with sites to buy from and chips to use would be appriciated(btw hard to get those in my country Trinidad..don't know where to go and costs to much in their radio shack ).In the end.I think the only problem i'm really having is where to get microcontrollers and exactly how to use them

Attachments

• proj_diagram.GIF
    proj_diagram.GIF
    5.9 KB · Views: 814
By the way I've learnt some assembly and I'll only just need to get acustom to specfic's for monitoring ports on the specific chip..not sure if this post was made in the right palce...sorry if it wasn't

Greetings sir,
"how come i didn't get a response"
Perhaps your first post is too general.
You ask about Infra Red emitters, receivers, encoders, decoders, micro controllers,
programming, fan motor speed control, 555 timers, EPROMs, EEPROMs (flash) and parts purchasing.
This is a bit overwhelming.
If someone provides answers to all of these who should get the diploma?
I recommend PIC micro controllers from www.microchip.com
Microchip's web site has a wealth of information on using these controllers.
You will be able to purchase these chips from www.digikey.com
They are relatively inexpensive. I am not familiar with shipping to Trinidad.
There is a forum at this site specifically for PIC/BASIC programming.
You also might want to make separate inquires about IR and fan motor speed control.
Best wishes on your endeavors.

sorry for the misunderstanding..The fan speed and other adjustments are not what i'm concerned with..they are minor matters..Already have the basics of that down.MY main concern was
1)Getting the microcontroller(a site to buy from)
2)How to program it
3)If it's the best thing to use or should I try 555's instead

You've answered the first part..thaxn..I've done some thinking on the matter and realised that since i'm having trouble sourcing the PICs i might have to go with 555 and logic gates instead seeing that alot of projects online use 555 instead of PICs.This is what was mym main concern

thanx anyway..and idea's on using the microcontrtoller still would be usefull for my futre hobbie projects

A nice microcontroller that will work for applications where integer mathematics is sufficent and where program execution speed isn't critical is the Parallax BASIC Stamp 2.
https://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=BS2-IC
There is lots of online programming documentation available directly from the manufacturer that will get you thoroughly aquainted with programming the thing. Once you become accustomed to programming the Stamp, TONS of useful application information can be found in The Nuts & Volts Of Basic Stamps book set which contains a huge collection of articles from Nuts & Volts magazine regarding the BASIC Stamp.
**broken link removed**

Just be warned that Stamp projects cost! I spent around $650 (a LOT for a 15 year old ATT) on my first Stamp project back four years ago, a robot named jumper that eventually jumped right down a flight of stairs and was destroyed (but that's another story, and a tribute to the floating point math that the Stamp can't do :lol:)

Anyway if you want more horsepower and floating point math, and a CHEAPER module :? ... the microprocessor system I've been working with lately that I really like is the line from Rabbit Semiconductor. **broken link removed**. These, however, are much more complicated to program, unless you're already quite accomplished at C.

Anyway, look around, I dunno how you can find it difficult to find information on microcontrollers, they're everywhere in the hobby world. Best of luck with your project!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back