Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Infrared Beam Break Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

UTMonkey

Hi All,

I don't get much time for electronics but I really enjoy it when I do.

I just wanted to give an update of my latest project, it seems to be a common project on this forum and from the advice supplied I thought I would show you how far I have got.

Most beam break projects require the use of a "tube" to act as a collimator, I was able to find a sleeved cable grommet (Image1) which looks ideal.

Thing is I am not sure I need it as the IR Emitter I am using is the SFH4503 which according to the data sheet has a 8 degree emitting angle - please take a look at the datasheet and see what you think https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2008/10/84848.pdf

Anyway, take a look at the final project and let me know what you think, the infrared receiver is a Vishay TSOP34838 https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2008/10/46678.pdf (the resistor wheel allows me to control the current to the IR emitter)

The test environment is basically the back room of my house which is roughly 3 metres wide, from the initial test results I get the impression that the emitter I have can do a lot LOT better.

One query I do have though is that although the beam break circuit works fine I find that If I am within 12 inches of the emitter no beam break is detected. Having thought about this for a while I am guessing it is because the power of the beam is strong enough that at that distance it reflects off everyday clothing?

So I am going to try next to not only increase the distance but also reduce the 12 inch blind spot, one thing I may try is to reduce the duty cycle of the modulated pulse to see what happens.

Other ideas perhaps are to enclose the circuit in a dark box with perhaps a strip of infrared filter.

If anyone has any suggestions I would be very grateful.

All the best!

Mark

Attachments

• Image1.JPG
    Image1.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 258
  • Image2.JPG
    Image2.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 240
  • Image3.JPG
    Image3.JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 243
  • Image4.JPG
    Image4.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 283
  • Image5.JPG
    Image5.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 241
hi Mark,
I use the shorter version of the sleeved grommet to do exactly the same thing, there is one on the TX end as well as the RX.
Over a period of a few months the grommets tend to sag and partially block the beam, thats why I use the shorter ones.

The close 12" operation could be due to reflection from a surface behind the the detector, light does get thru the detector from behind, as its clear.

Also I use the detector diode with a 'dark' plastic body [daylight filter]

If you post your TX and RX circuits I may have a few ideas to increase the range, if thats of interest.

Hi Eric,

Thanks for your imput, the circuit itself isnt actually drawn out (but I could when I get home from work). The entire project is an 18F chip producing PWM to the attached circuit shown in the images.

basically comprising of:-
1. Detector - Vishay with the mandatory resistor and cap getting a 5 volt feed and producing the relevant output on one of the pins.
2. Emmitter - an OSRAM IR emitter enclosed in a grommet fed by the same 5 volt feed as the detector, the switching action is controlled by a transistor whose base is connected to a uC's PWM pin. The collector current to the emitter is in series with a variable resistor (a resistor wheel).

Thanks again.

Hi All,

As requested I have posted a schematic, not much to look at - its pretty much lifted from the reverend Goodwin's PIC tutorial site ;)(minus a few smoothing capacitors).

Regards

Mark

Attachments

• IR-Eagle.jpg
    IR-Eagle.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 294
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back