Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Infra-red filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

alec_t

Most Helpful Member
If anyone out there is considering building an IR-related project and is looking for something to block visible light but pass IR, consider the wrappers from M&S Cherry Liqueur Chocolates !
Each wrapper is about 10cm square. Eight layers were found to be enough to drastically attenuate visible light while having no noticeable effect on the IR from a TV remote. The only side-effect of creating a filter this way is a slight increase in the dimensions of your waistline. :)

So all I need to do is cross the pond, find a store selling M&S Cherry Liqueur Chocolates, eat the chocolates on the return flight and save the wrappers. So for a few thousand USD I can make some really cool IR filters and enjoy some chocolate. Then too, as long as I am getting back to GB I can look for some of those pubs I enjoyed in the 80's. :)

Ron

If anyone out there is considering building an IR-related project and is looking for something to block visible light but pass IR, consider the wrappers from M&S Cherry Liqueur Chocolates !
Each wrapper is about 10cm square. Eight layers were found to be enough to drastically attenuate visible light while having no noticeable effect on the IR from a TV remote. The only side-effect of creating a filter this way is a slight increase in the dimensions of your waistline. :)
How, why did you find that out?

While probably not cheaper, having an unexposed roll of film developed is the "typical" way to make an IR filter...

How, why did you find that out?
I'm curious (a lot of people have told me that :D). I regard it as a challenge to think of a second use for anything which might otherwise go to landfill. Besides, there have been past posts in the forums regarding IR filtering and I had noted previously that the window on the end of some remotes is a very dark red.

I'm curious (a lot of people have told me that :D). I regard it as a challenge to think of a second use for anything which might otherwise go to landfill. Besides, there have been past posts in the forums regarding IR filtering and I had noted previously that the window on the end of some remotes is a very dark red.

hi alec,
Most red cellophane chocolate wrappers work well as IR and RED LED filters, not only M&S Cherry Liqueur Chocolates.:p

They have been used as el cheapo filters for years..

Hi Eric,
I'll have to put that to the test. Now where's my list of sweet shops......:)

Hi Eric,
I'll have to put that to the test. Now where's my list of sweet shops......:)

alec,
Wait till after Xmas, I will send you all my sweet wrappers.;)

Thanks for the offer Eric. I'm now on the lookout for wrappers for making a UV filter ;-)

hi alec,
Most red cellophane chocolate wrappers work well as IR and RED LED filters, not only M&S Cherry Liqueur Chocolates.:p

They have been used as el cheapo filters for years..
Yes, I think many of the wrappers are made to block UV rays.

Ah, I should have said a UV filter to pass UV but block visible light.

Ah, I should have said a UV filter to pass UV but block visible light.
Then your first post is completely wrong? The wrapper has nothing to do with the IR from a remote control?
Or does the wrapper also block IR?

I haven't decided whether you're being serious or satirical, AG.
Then your first post is completely wrong?
I don't accept that. I concede the title was ambiguous, but the first post did specify "something to block visible light but pass IR".
The wrapper has nothing to do with the IR from a remote control? Or does the wrapper also block IR?
I refer you again to post #1 which says "Eight layers were found to be enough to drastically attenuate visible light while having no noticeable effect on the IR from a TV remote."

The first post says the wrapper blocks visible light but passes IR.
The correction says the wrapper blocks visible light but passes UV without talking about IR.
They are COMPLETELY different!

They are COMPLETELY different!
Of course they are! I was discussing a pass filter in post #1 and a blocking filter in post #12.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back