Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Info on data logger/ recorder needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

pylotttt1

I want to build an electronic paperless chart recorder/data logger along the lines of the http://www.skylarkcontrols.com/chart_recorder_fuji_phl.htm
but with less functions. I don't know where to start or to get info.
I want to use a version of a tablet type of computer handheld computer.
What program should it run?
What programming language is used to design the software?
Are there off the shelf programs that can be used?
I know there are data loggin modules that can be connected to a PC to act like an o-scope, recorder, etc, but I want to build a unit that has everything built in from the I/O, software, display, memory storage, etc.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

hi & Welcome

To record analog signals you will require an external adc module, which could use either Serial or USB into your laptop.

My solution would an external module that plugs into the PC's USB port and use say Visual Basic to read/display and store in real time the external data and also stored data.

What sort of data and at what sample rates will this project be used for.??

The unit you linked to (Fuji Electric PHL) in the 9 channel version is about a $2,000 USD unit. I have seen it demonstrated and it is nice with the big selling point being it is self contained. You may want to look at units from Measurement Computing and also Dataq Instruments to get some ideas as a base starting point.

Most units I have seen like this and worked with come with pretty good data logging software. Most require a Windows based OS so I have used them with laptop systems. If you want to use a tablet I would check with the device manufacturer to see if their software will run on what you have. As to developing to these devices it can be done in a wide variety of common languages like C and VB to name but a few. Most of these devices include SDK (Software Developer Kit) to get you going with the software developing.

If you are just starting out and want something to play around with Dataq markets a small line of inexpensive Starter Kits that may be worth looking into.

This would likely go better if people knew your location so products could be easily be suggested. There are countless brands out there and most include data logging software. Just a matter of you getting exactly what you want and need. Also what the budget is?

<EDIT> Beaten by Eric as I was busy with morning coffee. That Eric is quick! :) </EDIT>

Ron

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back