Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Infared LEDs night Vision camera lense

Status
Not open for further replies.

venomxx

I was reading a DYI-by Evil Genius and the book has a section about building an infared-LED see-in-the-dark by using the viewer section from a digital camcorder.

I didn't want to spend $30 for the book just to have that secion and searched around on google but no luck.

Anyone can steer me in the right direction ?

hi, i haven't seen that actual book but i did once mod a webcam to see in the dark with ir led's. the trick is to remove the ir filter (a peice of red tinted glass). ONLY DO THIS IF YOU WANT TO RISK YOUR CAMERA, as you could wreck something in the process. also you can't see colour with this:)

It is much better if you remove the hot plate (Ir blocking filter) from the camera, but it is not required. You just need brighter IR lights to see with it and larger aperature settings. Autofocus doesn't work properly under IR light and things will appear blurry as the cameras optics don't work the same on IR light. I don't understand how you searched google with no luck. Look for IR photography

No, what i am talking about is just using the view LCD as a viewer and attach it to a small spy cam using the infared LEDs for lumination. The books shows that it is like day light in a pitch black room.

I thought that would be an interesting project to work on...DYI night vision goggle ;)

What we're trying to tell you venom is that this can be done with any CMOS sensor based camera which is the bulk of all consumer video equipment out there right now. If you just remove the hot plate (IR blocking filter) from the camera and use a high power IR illuminator. The hardest part is building an array of near IR LED's that can produce enough illumination. These arrays are big and expensive if you want to do a whole room. If you don't take out the IR blocking filter which is a slightly pink coloured piece of glass then you need a much more powerful IR illuminator on the same cameras.

so are you planning on having this portable night vision camera that you can carry around?. or just a camera with the ability to see in the dark?. the more info you give, the more we can help:)

Yes, I just want it as a night vision google. Not going to carry a whole camera around...lol thats too bulky.

What I saw in the plan was using about 25 infared LEDs. Using a 9volts battery for power! The whole thing can easily mount under a helmet or a hardhat.

Im planning on using this device to roam around in the dark hehe.

Parts needed:
1. Viewer tube from an old camcorder (black/white or colored)
2. Spy cam (on ebay)
3. **This is what i need** the electronic board
4. Case
5. Battery.

venomxx said:
Yes, I just want it as a night vision google. Not going to carry a whole camera around...lol thats too bulky.

What I saw in the plan was using about 25 infared LEDs. Using a 9volts battery for power! The whole thing can easily mount under a helmet or a hardhat.

Im planning on using this device to roam around in the dark hehe.

Parts needed:
1. Viewer tube from an old camcorder (black/white or colored)
2. Spy cam (on ebay)
3. **This is what i need** the electronic board
4. Case
5. Battery.
the viewer tube can be just black and white because you can't see colour with infrared.
with the camera what kind is it, is it usb?.
as for the board 1st it depends on the camera and second the screen and whatever else you need. sorry i am not very good at making cuircuits of hand:( so maybe someone else on this board could help with that:D

venom. The range on that would be pitiful, a few dozen feet at most. It's not night vision it's simply using a light for illumination that we can't see with our eyes. Night vision goggles use one of two systems, light amplification or FAR infrared (heat) sensing. Near IR (like on a camera) can just barely pick up a objects heated to say 300-400+ degree's C at close range.

hmmmm, i got a devious idea... imma use a digital camera and take pics of those pages from the book and going to see if i can make one ;)
I'll post it here..hehe

that wouldn't be a good idea, mods will probably delete the posts since the book is someone else's legal property and can't be distributed like that. You could just buy a pair from OPGEAR lol. If u have around $1,500 USD

You can buy monoculars for 175-200 dollars.

hehe, Thanks Ambient.
I wouldn't want that to happen. I have obtained a full article on my digital camera :)
Can't post it on here, but I am going to clarify it some more.

It actually uses a webcam, 18Infared LCDs, an old camcorder optical viewing tube.

The image is just like using a flash light except its infared.
Good enough for me :)

Now its time to building it and save it to spook out some kids during holloween nights *muuuuahhhhhh!!!

Sceadwian said:
venom. The range on that would be pitiful, a few dozen feet at most. It's not night vision it's simply using a light for illumination that we can't see with our eyes.

Agreed. I have a security camera which works on the same principal, but to be honest the IR LEDs are useless in my application because I'm viewing my drive from the top of my house - the IR light doesn't get anywhere near that far.

I was thinking of using a high power IR flood lamp but was worried about the effects on people's eyes. I know you can't see it but I wasn't sure if it would still cause damage regardless. In the end I bought a normal flood lamp so that the drive is flooded with light as soon as anyone approaches. That did the trick.

Brian

ThermalRunaway said:
I was thinking of using a high power IR flood lamp but was worried about the effects on people's eyes. I know you can't see it but I wasn't sure if it would still cause damage regardless
i don't think alot of ir will do any harm if it spreads out before it hits the eyes,with lasers the ir is somewhat focused so can cause damage, but a floodlight shouldn't do much

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back