Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sources of Inexpensive large enclosures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kart31

Is there such a thing?

I have a project that I'd like to finalize into an enclosure. The best fit I can organize comes to about a 8" wide, 8" tall, 12" deep enclosure. The least expensive pre-made enclosure I can find is on eBay for $60. $60!! :oops:

What do you all do for cost effective (aka cheap) large enclosures? (P.S. in the USA)

In stock at most Lowe's if you can limit to 6" depth. The good news is that they are from reliable manufacturers using test methods and certifications for flame retardancy and smoke emissions - UL listings that Chinese sourced discount enclosures tend to skip. All for about half the eBay price and no shipping charges.

**broken link removed**

This company makes some nice enclosures.

But none fitting his desire for cheaper than what he found at $60 since they have to be purchased from distributors like Digikey.com.

Is there such a thing?

I have a project that I'd like to finalize into an enclosure. The best fit I can organize comes to about a 8" wide, 8" tall, 12" deep enclosure. The least expensive pre-made enclosure I can find is on eBay for $60. $60!! :oops:

What do you all do for cost effective (aka cheap) large enclosures? (P.S. in the USA)

Does it need to meet any electrical standards?
What type of cutouts?
Plastic, metal,etc?
Waterproof?
Does it need to accomodate circuit board mounting?

Do the contents need to be accessible without the use of tools?
Does the enclosure need a window?

Does it need to meet any electrical standards?
What type of cutouts?
Plastic, metal,etc?
Waterproof?
Does it need to accomodate circuit board mounting?
Do the contents need to be accessible without the use of tools?
Does the enclosure need a window?
It is a home project, meeting electrical standards is relative. It needs to be safe to use and work on.
When I think of an enclosure, I think of a 6 solid sided box, cutouts and windows are made by the builder.
Does not need to be tool free access.
I don't know of any enclosures that large that include integrated board mounts. Either way, not necessary for this project.
Plastic, metal, etc. Yes.
Waterproof, no.

I'm not sure how knowing all the specifics effects the possible sources of large inexpensive enclosures.

I'm not sure how knowing all the specifics effects the possible sources of large inexpensive enclosures.

There is an unfortunate tendency here for experts to take over projects, complicating things, and telling posters how they should be doing it, even in response to a simple question.

If you can get by with less depth, home improvement stores sometimes have enclosures for lawn sprinkler controllers that are about 12" × 12" × 4". They usually have some mounting bosses for a back panel to mount the parts of your project.

Depending where it is and how it will be used, many different enclosures are possible - knowing what you need makes it easier to come up with ideas.

If it does not have to look anything special or need to be weatherproof etc., possibilities range from a plastic storage bin through a small cupboard, as well as purpose made electrical enclosures.

Something like this kitchen unit style but even smaller, they make them down to 300 or so wide.
**broken link removed**

Or a small cube or near cube locker..

Or you can make one yourself from such as melamine shelf board or plywood, oak or maple boards etc.
(Look at such as DIY speaker cabinet construction for the basic methods, if you are not familiar with making things from such materials).
Electrical racks made from wood seem popular at present.

You can fit your own decorative front panel for controls (if you need one) to the rear of boxes with doors if that is more practical, giving rear access to the contents.

There is an unfortunate tendency here for experts to take over projects, complicating things, and telling posters how they should be doing it, even in response to a simple question.
A forum, this forum, any forum, would be the last place I would look for information on compliance of NFPA 70/UL508A codes for just this reason. At the same time how many home projects (most of which are what is on here) will be verified to be compliant.

I'm not looking for an enclosure. I'm inexpensive sources of enclosures, especially those I may not have thought of. It is obvious to me (should be to any that could answer the question) that anything made by Hammond, Saginaw, and Bud will not fit the bill of 'inexpensive source'. Good stuff, just not hobbiest or DIYer priced.

Use a used Tupperware cake box, a large Christmas cookie tin box, pull the guts out of a 90s era Sony receiver and put a polycarbonate faceplate to replace the original, stop by Walmart and look at the storage bins or trash can section or office file box - available in PP, ABS, wicker, wood, steel.

if your question is so straight forward, and anything will work for you, open your eyes, these boxes are available all over the place. Stop by your local Goodwill store and get one for a buck. Most people coming here don't even know what a bud box or Hammond box is or where to source one. It is rare that someone so knowledgeable comes here asking for Dumpster Diving instructions.

Next time, tell us what experience you have, what doesn't work for you (bud /Hammond) and what price target snd lack of specifications is ok for you. or, just visit the sister website: dumpster-diving-online,com.

Use a used Tupperware cake box, a large Christmas cookie tin box, pull the guts out of a 90s era Sony receiver and put a polycarbonate faceplate to replace the original, stop by Walmart and look at the storage bins or trash can section or office file box - available in PP, ABS, wicker, wood, steel.

if your question is so straight forward, and anything will work for you, open your eyes, these boxes are available all over the place. Stop by your local Goodwill store and get one for a buck. Most people coming here don't even know what a bud box or Hammond box is or where to source one. It is rare that someone so knowledgeable comes here asking for Dumpster Diving instructions.

Next time, tell us what experience you have, what doesn't work for you (bud /Hammond) and what price target snd lack of specifications is ok for you. or, just visit the sister website: dumpster-diving-online,com.
The thread would beg to differ. Posters #4 and 5 both know exactly what Hammond enclosures are. If you have ever frequented the larger online electronics retailers (Digikey, Mouser, Allied, Newark, etc) for an enclosure one of those names has been listed.

The post #1 asks for a 'enclosure'. Sorry I was not specific enough to 'project enclosures' or to rule out 'storage bins'. Additionally, the question is somewhat open ended so as to allow those who have a source or technique for building their own to reply with their method and/or source. Looks like this forum has held up to its reputation again.

The thread would beg to differ. Posters #4 and 5 both know exactly what Hammond enclosures are.

you missed my point completely. Very few thread-starters asking such a newbie question know what a Hammond or bud box is). Most newbies know hoe to use a cookie tin, Altoid Box or pencil box or toothbrush box. Unfortunately, some people come here with experience on how to do things correctly but have no idea how to do something on the cheap. Then they say "inexpensive" without reference to what is inexpensive. To most people, half price is inexpensive (see Lowe's box above) but then they still cry when it is not inexpensive by their definition. Please clarify what you need (want).

Very few thread-starters asking such a newbie question know what a Hammond or bud box is).
Sorry I don't think this is a newbie question but a crowd-source question to post and gather information (some free advertising for your favorite "hole-in-the wall" or local (or online) supplier. I expect there to be some listed I know of, but omitting them would limit the responses.

Unfortunately, some people come here with experience on how to do things correctly but have no idea how to do something on the cheap. Then they say "inexpensive" without reference to what is inexpensive. To most people, half price is inexpensive (see Lowe's box above) but then they still cry when it is not inexpensive by their definition.
Defined already:
The best fit I can organize comes to about a 8" wide, 8" tall, 12" deep enclosure. The least expensive pre-made enclosure I can find is on eBay for $60. $60!! :oops:

Please clarify what you need (want).
Also defined:
(so the 6" deep Lowes boxes do not fit the bill, though they are large and nice given you are paying for water resistant)
and clarified
I'm not looking for an enclosure. I'm inexpensive sources of enclosures, especially those I may not have thought of. It is obvious to me (should be to any that could answer the question) that anything made by Hammond, Saginaw, and Bud will not fit the bill of 'inexpensive source'. Good stuff, just not hobbiest or DIYer priced.
What sources or techniques/methods do you know of for large inexpensive project boxes (aka enclosures) in the USA?

Last edited:
So, you want an enclosure that is not an enclosure that "you haven't thought of" but don't give us a list of what you haven't thought of nor have you clarified what "inexpensive" means. This thread seems more like a cry for social interaction and you're trying to prolong the interaction by creating a non-answerable question intertwined with a childish guessing game.

So, you want an enclosure that is not an enclosure that "you haven't thought of"
I have no clue what that means.

what "inexpensive" means.
The best fit I can organize comes to about a 8" wide, 8" tall, 12" deep enclosure. The least expensive pre-made enclosure I can find is on eBay for $60. $60!! :oops:
8" wide, 8" tall, 12" deep enclosure that costs less than $60 shipped.

a non-answerable question intertwined with a childish guessing game.
What is non-answerable or do you have to guess about
What sources or techniques/methods do you know of for large inexpensive project boxes (aka enclosures) in the USA?
(at this point, I would have to venture you gophert, are the one "cry[ing] for social interaction and trying to prolong the interaction".

I'm not asking anyone to build or design the enclosure for me (based on other posts in this forum would just start cries of "we a here to help not do"). I am trying to gather a list of suppliers in the USA for project boxes and enclosures for all to use and reference.

Back to the clarified question:

Part of the problem is you need a rather odd shape; types that are wider and shallower / flatter are somewhat easier to find, eg. wallbox style or desk case / equipment rack housing style.

Part of the problem is you need a rather odd shape; types that are wider and shallower / flatter are somewhat easier to find, eg. wallbox style or desk case / equipment rack housing style.
I am not asking for a source of the specific box. I am asking a/the general question.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back