Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Inductors

Status
Not open for further replies.

0mega

Sup,

I need an inductance of 2.2 uH, however the only RF chokes which i can get that are 2.2uH have a max current rating of 0.5A. I need a max current rating of 1A. Could i wire these in parallel to the same effect?

Cheers,
JB

0mega said:
Sup,

I need an inductance of 2.2 uH, however the only RF chokes which i can get that are 2.2uH have a max current rating of 0.5A. I need a max current rating of 1A. Could i wire these in parallel to the same effect?

Cheers,
JB

If your application is relatively low frequency I think that would be just fine, your effective current rating will double but you will also HALVE your inductance. So you would need to put 4 of your .5A, 2.2u together to get a 2.2u, 1A coil. These things are relatively cheap, I would buy what you need unless you are in a crunch.

[quote="OptikonIf your application is relatively low frequency I think that would be just fine, your effective current rating will double but you will also HALVE your inductance. So you would need to put 4 of your .5A, 2.2u together to get a 2.2u, 1A coil. These things are relatively cheap, I would buy what you need unless you are in a crunch.[/quote]

WTF? I think you have contradicted yourself. Placing four in parallel would QUARTER the inductance, wouldn't it? because then you are essentially placing two 1.1u inductors in parallel, therefore halving that!

So if i buy two 4.4u and place them in parallel, that should work?

JB

Oh i see. However the actual wiring was not stated, but yes, i understand. Thanks very much.

JB

Russlk said:
Optikon did not say to put them in parallel. You series two and put the two in parallel.

yes thanks! Sorry I wasn't clear. Anyhow, I would just buy what I need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back