Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Inductors.... i have a question

Status
Not open for further replies.

tony8404

I am about to start learning inductors and capacitance... i started to read and learned there are a mess of inductors but i cannot seem to name any but like i said i just started to read but it is on my mind right now and cant stop thinking of it... but can anyone name at the least 10 inductors?

I am about to start learning inductors and capacitance... i started to read and learned there are a mess of inductors but i cannot seem to name any but like i said i just started to read but it is on my mind right now and cant stop thinking of it... but can anyone name at the least 10 inductors?

? What do you mean name at least 10 inductors? You can name 10 capacitors? Just do a search on Digikey and you'll get thousands. Inductors are more individual than capacitors because their parasitics are larger relative to their intended ideal. So there's a whole bunch.

All inductors are called Henry.
Then there are their smaller relations, Milli Henry, Micro Henry, and Nano Henry.

Please tell me this is a ridiculous school homework question.

JimB

Last edited:
no.. no.. its not one of those homework questions.. it was more like a i bet you cannot name 10 or more inductors.. then i thought about it and cannot think of anything...

1uH, 2uH,3uH...10uH. I don't think I understand your question. Are you talking about types of inductors like air core, iron core etc...?

YOu mean like specific part numbers? I doubt many could name 10 of any component off the top of their head whether it be specific resistors, capacitors, inductors, diodes, or transistors.

Or specific applications types? Like power inductors, RF inductors, spark coils, auto transformers, and chokes?

Last edited:
so far i have come up with solenoid, speaker coil, filter choke, electric magnet, am loop antenna, transformer, stereo cartridge, electric motors, analog meter coil, dynamic microphone coil.

Solenoid is a coil rounded on the surface of the cylinder. So the speaker coil, electro magnet, AM loop antenna, filter choke, deprez coil (analogue meter), microphone coil is solenoid. Another group is the toroid. Toroidal inductors which have wire windings on circular ring shaped magnetic cores. The transformer is more than just a coil. It can be solenoid or toroidal too. The motor is a special coil, there are a lot of types of motors and motor coils.

1uH, 2uH,3uH...10uH. I don't think I understand your question. Are you talking about types of inductors like air core, iron core etc...?

I guess he means inductor names by function, such as solenoids for electromagnetic valves, e.g. electromagnetic air valve, water valve, hydraulic valve. That makes already three of them. :D

Just a few more: loudspeaker, dynamic microphone, filters etc.

Hans

Ah yes indeed. The discovery of the power of an inductive coil. From the focusing coils of an old CRT television to the precise movement of a lasic scapel. The inductive properties and there uses, wrapped in a coil of wire are amazing and useful.
Congrats Tony, you discovered the beauty of electronics :)

Then there is my personal favourite quality of the inductor.
Inductive voltage spike.... booom.... and you have a very stiff butt muscle.

Hmm, yes.

Fire engines used to be called Dennis, but nowadays others are becoming common.
This might be a side issue relating to the anti discrimination laws.

In America, dentists are called Dennis.
They dont seem to mind being called Dennis, even when that may not be their actual name.
Maybe its a trade protocol or tradition as its often used in the third person.

John :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back