Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Inductor Values

Status
Not open for further replies.

AtomSoft

Hello all here is a list i seen on eBay of some dude selling a lot of inductors:

1uH 10uH 100uH
1.2uH 12uH 120uH
1.5uH 15uH 150uH
1.8uH 18uH 180uH
2.2uH 22uH 220uH
2.7uH 27uH 270uH
3.3uH 33uH 330uH
3.9uH 39uH 390uH
4.7uH 47uH 470uH
5.6uH 56uH 560uH
6.8uH 68uH 680uH
8.2uH 82uH 820uH 1mH

I need to buy inductors and am not looking for a huge qty like that since im sure most will not be used. I wanted to ask what are the most common values?

Ive seen 100,10,200,220 uH from tons of things. Are these 4 the most common? or would you recommend others? If so please do.

Depends on What Cuircuits your making.
Additionally there are Other Factors.

Such as:
Q Value?
Current Rating?

Hi Atom

I probably have less than 50 inductors (most for years) in my inventory now. For what I'm involved with, including RF projects, I have found it more cost effective to buy on an as needed basis rather than carrying inventory that collects dust for years. Maybe that's just me though.

Instead of buying inductors, you can alternatively buy copper wire of awg 24, 26 or 28 and can download the excellent program written by Wilfried Burmeister at **broken link removed**.. downloading option is at bottom of the page it shows...

It will calculate all of the values for you for air core, toroid inductors. There is a fairly good tutorial included in the HELP screen that will explain what calculations are being made and how.

hows that???

Last edited:
Hi,

I have to agree that if someone wants to stock up on inductors then they should have a specific application in mind. For example, if you intend to work with lots of RF then smaller inductors might do it, but if you intend to work with power supplies then larger inductors would be needed that can handle more power. It's very hard to pick them like this though because one power supply might have to put out 50ma while another power supply might have to put out 5 amps while another 20 amps, etc., and each case might use the same value inductor (like 50uH) but the current rating would have to increase for each mentioned power supply. This would mean we'd need a lot of inductors on hand, and it's not too practical to wind your own power inductors except as a side project where you just like to do that kind of thing, and even then you'd have to stock a fair amount of different size magnetic cores.
It usually works out that when you start to work on a project you come up with a certain value inductance (say in uH) and a certain current rating (in amps) and you go searching for something that comes close to what you need and you buy one or two or several as needed right there and then. Later, if you find you are working on another project, you do the same and buy different inductors. Some of them can be a little expensive too so it would cost quite a bit to stock them unless you were a company in the business of making power supplies or something like that and then you might only have a handful anyway that you would use to R&D with, then later buy a larger quantity once everything was up and running and fully tested.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back