Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

inductor resistor circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

lecto1234

hi all
I am trying to work out a part of a question for some time now and not getting true, I need a little help here

The circuit comprises of an inductor of value 9H and is connected in series with a 60 ohm resistor to a 240V d.c source
I found the time constant which is L/R = 0.15, I also found the current after one time constant which worked out to be 2.527A, I found the time for the current to reach 2.5A which worked out to be 0.147sec . The steady state value of the circuit worked out to be 4A (Vs/R)
My problem is working out the (i)Time to develop maximum current.
I(1-e-(t/time constant))
used this formula but not getting the correct answer and (ii) the initial rate of change of current.
According to the book the answers should be (i)0.75 and (ii)26.67A/s

The first 0.5s to see the time constant:

210.gif

The first 1ms to get the initial slope:

210a.gif

Last edited:
τ=L/R is the 60% time constant.

i) Steady state is regarded to be 5x τau.
ii) dI/dt = V/L or 240V/9H=26.6666...

In reality the iron core might begin to saturate before steady state and di/dt might reduce as much as 50% below 30% of steady state and leave the core magnetized with remenance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back