Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Inductor core question

Status
Not open for further replies.

elec123

Hi,

Basically i'm building a dc-dc boost converter. With the switch switching at 20kHz.

I have calculated the component values and need a 6.8mH inductor with a saturation surrent of 5.5A or higher.

I have found this.....

https://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/Compone...playProduct.jsp?sku=TF00265&_requestid=344363

which seems to do just the job, but it doesn't say anywhere what material the core is made of, wouldn't an iron core become lossy at the frequency i want to switch at? been told i need a ferrite or ceramic core inductor....

having trouble finding inductors that can handle this current, can anyone recommend a site supplying them?

Thanks

It might not have a permeable core. That's a lot of inductance... can you tell us more about your circuit? Reverse engineering your numbers, I'm guessing you either slipped a decimal point (or two) or your input is close to 700 volts.

That coil is intended for audio, so it's probably good to 20 KHz. It has an open magnetic field so it'll radiate a lot of interference.

I think that inductor for a speaker's crossover uses air as its core so it doesn't saturate at high power.

thanks for your replies, think it will be fine for what i need it for....

mneary, i'm pretty sure my calculations are right, but this is how i got to the inductance value....

I want to boost the output of a solar pv panel (17.7V) to 100V.

k = 1 - Vs/Vo = 0.823

switching at 20kHz Tp = 1/f = 50us

i want the ripple current Il to be 2% of the rated current of the pv panel (5.5A) so Il is 0.11A

rearranging V = L. dIl/dt gives L = Vs.dt/dIl

where dt = k.Tp = 41.15us therefore L = 6.6mH the nearest preferred value is 6.8mH.

Look right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back