Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Inductor Confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

m1tch37

I am a beginner and am having trouble putting together a ICD2 clone from schematics, board design, photo and a part list. The source of my confusion is two parts that are said to be the same in the parts list, but appear nothing alike in the board design and a photo.

L1, L2 = 100μH

They are the parts, it took me ages to figure out what a L* is, but i figured they are inductors right?

Anyway, in the photo below L2 looks like the inductors i can find online, where as L1 just looks like a wire? What am i reading wrong? Do i just put a wire into L1, but they are both the same μH??

Thank You,
Mitch

**broken link removed**

m1tch37 said:
L1, L2 = 100μH

They are the parts, it took me ages to figure out what a L* is, but i figured they are inductors right?

Yes L is usual designator for an inductor.

m1tch37 said:
Anyway, in the photo below L2 looks like the inductors i can find online, where as L1 just looks like a wire? What am i reading wrong? Do i just put a wire into L1, but they are both the same μH??

In the photo, L1 is indeed a wire link.
I am not familiar with your circuit, but sometimes there can be variations where parts are just not required and are either left out or replace with wire links.

JimB

Thats what i figured. I guess i'll try it without, as pictured. A large inductor wouldn't fit in L1 anyway, so i guess thats what the intended.. I hope so.

In the MicroChip ICD2 they use a switchmode supply to generate the Vpp voltage - the inductor is a crucial part of that supply, you need to get one that's designed for that kind of use (not an RF choke).

Mitch, the author says that L1 can be either a 100 uH inductor or a link (see the schematic, on the bottom left).

L1 and C4 form form a supply line filter.

L2 is required for proper operation of the DC-DC converter (U1).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back