Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Inductive switching waveforms

Status
Not open for further replies.

reggie

Hi all,

I am trying to understand more about how a mosfet switches an inductive load (transformer primary / motor).

1) I want to draw the gate voltage and current waveforms with the drain voltage and current waveforms (unclamped).

2) I want to show the miller region

3) I also want to know how to calculate the turn on and turn off switching losses for say a single switch forward converter.

Can someone please point me in the direction of a good application note?

Thanks in advance,

Reggie.

I suggest that you download a copy of the free simulator LTSpice/SwitcherCad III from Linear Technology. As you read further you can perform immediate experiments on simulated circuits which should enable you to play "what if" with changes in components. The behavior of gate voltage as a function of time is particularly eye opening.

You'll learn a lot by doing this - I highly recommend it.

A final note is that simulation is no substitute for bradboarding, I highly reccommend that also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back