Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

induction heating circuit powerd by a 12volt battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sreekanthtirur

Sir,

i need a induction heating circuit powerd by a 12volt battery (two wheeler battery)

for my project work.

If 12 volt is not enough, can i use any higher voltage converting circuit to increase 12 volt..?

Please help me sir_

You make no mention of the power requirement as expressed in watts for the coil? A 1000 watt induction heater, before losses are even considered would be upwards of 100 amps at 12 volts so yes, you would need a big battery to sustain 12 volts at 100 amps for any reasonable period of time. You would need to provide much more additional information to get answers. The induction heaters I have seen run at much higher voltages than 12 volts. Thus the need for an inverter to drive the oscillator. You are also looking at various designs. You would need to provide at least a basic schematic of your plan. While I am not a guru at induction heating I do know the systems I have seen draw considerable power.

Ron

I was always under the impression that it was high frequency pulsed DC in the coils?

It is HF pulsed DC. Pretty cool stuff actually. I've seen it demonstrated but we never actually really got into it. The unit I saw a few years ago and worked with made a very large 600 pound 316 stainless steel part real hot pretty quick. Maybe during 2012 I will look more into it as to heating parts for interference fits. This link has a few cool images.

Ron

Induction heating

Sir,
i want heat a liquid from 50 c to 150 c (or atleast 120c) in a controlable manner like 60 c,70 c but no need to be accurate.The only power source is a 12volt 9amp battery.
I planed to heat the liguid of 50ml in a small bottle of metal having a iron core at its centre to abosorb the heat from the coil then deliver to the liquid.
The heating is required for just 5 minutes only.
can u help with a circuit for this?

OK, I suggest you start reading here. The link shows a smaller unit that actually looks pretty interesting. Based on your post you really don't need much. While I do not have a circuit there seems to be plenty of information and hobby type circuits out there using Google. I can't tell you exactly how much power you would need but would guess under 500 Watts. Purely a guess as I never worked with induction heating from a design point.

Ron

Do you have to use induction heating? It would be a lot simpler, and more energy-efficient, to use a plain resistive heater.

I read all the informations now I need a circuit drawing so I can build an industion heater. I have found a few circuit drawings with no parts values, some that are too small to read parts values, some that have no power source and lack of other information. I need a complete circuit drawing.

Try here;
https://www.dansworkshop.com/2008/03/induction-heating/
If you google "12 volt induction heating" You will get lots of hits.

I have already seen this page, read all the information and looked at the circuit drawing with NO parts values. Where does a person start with no parts values? I have a 24 volt transformer that is about 500ma will that work? I don't have 180 volts will 240 volts work? How many turns and what size wire are needed for those coils? What about the resistors and caps can I pull any cap and resistor out of my stash and use it 1 ohm to 10 meg, 1pf to 74,000.uf? And what about Q1, A1, A2, A3 I can't even guess what to use there?

I actually have a need for an induction heater in my work shop it will be much better than an acetylene/oxygen torch.

Sorry Gary, It seems you highjacked this thread.
The link I posted last does have values, it is a open source project.
If you do some of your own research you will find many more.
if this is for your shop than why do you need it to run off 12 volts DC?
You would be better off runing off 110VAC.
I have never made one and cannot help any further.
I suggest you start your own thread with your spesificashoins after you spend some time seeing whats already out there.
I will not do your research for you.
Happy New Year, Andy

Last edited:
I have a 24 volt transformer that is about 500ma will that work?
That's only 12W max. Hardly enough to warm anything, let alone heat it.

Last edited:
Sorry Gary, It seems you highjacked this thread.
The link I posted last does have values, it is a open source project.
If you do some of your own research you will find many more.
if this is for your shop than why do you need it to run off 12 volts DC?
You would be better off runing off 110VAC.
I have never made one and cannot help any further.
I suggest you start your own thread with your spesificashoins after you spend some time seeing whats already out there.
I will not do your research for you.
Happy New Year, Andy

I don't know much about induction heaters. I have been researching this for several months but all the information I find does not include a good circuit drawing. Some of the circuits have coils all it says is 45uh am I suppost to buy that or build it? If I build it what is the power rating, how many amps, what wire size? I don't know enough about this to figure it out on my own. The builter of the online projects don't have enough information for me. No one ever explains why they have a large wad of 12 caps soldered in parallel why not 1 large cap wouldn't that be a lot easier? I was going to post my on thread and ask for help then I saw this thread. If I had a circuit drawing of a 6L6 amplifier with no parts values that would not be a problem for me I could built it but not with an induction heater I am totally lost on this project. An induction heater is probably a very simple project for people that have been there and done that. I did not intend to hijack this thread so I will keep quiet now.

The builder of the on line projects don't have enough information for me. No one ever explains why they have a large wad of 12 caps soldered in parallel why not 1 large cap wouldn't that be a lot easier?

Read up on ESR, Equivalent Series Resistance, of capacitors and you will see why in higher power HF circuits several small capacitors are better than one big expensive one of the same equivalent ratings.

The unit in the link I gave had all the components listed plus pictures of the actual unit as built what more do you need for small scale experimental unit?

If you are looking to build a full sized mains voltage powered unit that can compete with the typical thermal capacities of a oxy acetylene torch you are going to need a lot more electrical and electronics know how and some very specialized parts plus some fairly deep pockets!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back