Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

inductance metering

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electronman

Hello,

I just want to calculate or measure the inductance of my inductors.

unfortunately I do not have any LRC meter to do so.
My multimeter just has a capacitance meter, Can I measure the inductance of my inductors somehow by that capacitance meter? If it does help, The multimeter has a freq meter too.

By the why, I have a digital oscilloscope and FFT device, Can I measure the inductance by them too?

Approximately what is the inductance range you want to measure?

I do not know really, Maybe between nano henry to 1mH.
Can I measure the inductance of 5 wounds of wire too(those air cored inductors used for FM transmitters )?

Usually to measure inductance requires a variable frequency generator. Do you have access to one?

Edit: One simple way is to connect the inductance across a known capacitor. Momentarily apply a dc current to the inductor and then measure the resultant decaying oscillation frequency. From that you can calculate the inductance. Select a capacitor value that gives a reasonable frequency with the estimated inductance. (Be sure and include the capacitance of the frequency meter as part of the parallel capacitance across the inductor when doing the calculation).

You might Google "inductance measurement" or "multimeter inductance measurement" to get some other ideas on how to do it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back