Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Indicator LEDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

bacterozoid

See attached file - is this the way I should add indicator LEDs? When the switch is thrown to turn the output for a given voltage on, the LED turns on with it at 20mA. I've not done indicator LEDs before, so I'm not sure what the best approach is. Thanks!

Attachments

• DCPowerStripSchematic.png
    DCPowerStripSchematic.png
    16 KB · Views: 123
Yep. You will have more like 18 mA through each LED since the LED drops somewhere between 1 and 2 volts, depending on the LED's color. Resistors should be 1/2 watt or higher. 1/4 watt resistors, power would be exceeded.

Also, if you put the LEDs on the output side of the regulators, they convey regulator output functionality in addition to input voltage functionality. Your choice.

That's a good point, actually. There's probably no way to do that on the adjustable regulators, though, right? In order not to burn out the LED, I would need something like a 600 ohm R, which then only allows 2mA at low voltages, and about 20mA at the max voltage level.

Agreed. Generally, though, you will want to adjust the voltage on a variable output to some level before using it -- thus ensuring functionality at the same time. Purchased supplies usually have a built-in panel meter to make that easy and to allow monitoring.

Yeah, I debated that for a while...it would be nice to have that sort of display, which would negate the need for the LED "working indicator", as you mentioned. I don't know of any really simple way to do this, so I imagine I'll just use a multimeter to set it when necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back