Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

increase PORTs

Status
Not open for further replies.

gelecg

hi,
my project is:
I want a microcontroller with 40 input and 60 output.
the inputs is connect to optocopller and the output is connect to relays.
so what is your idia about increse the port?
for example with mega32 or mega128 or other avr microcontroller.

The easyest way to do this, is to use cascaded shift Registers with latch like the 74HC595.
They can be cascaded an need only a few connections to the controller ( RESET, DATA, CLOCK, OE, CS ).
For the Relays I'll suggest You, to use Darlington Drivers like the ULN2803 between the HC595 and the Relais.
The needed Free Wheeling Diodes are included there too.

For the Optocouplers you can use a parallel in - serial Out Shift Register. For a useful Type you had to google a little bit.

So you can built your Project with a ATMEGA 8 Controller when want.
For the input i would take the Hardware SPI of the Controller, because it works 4 to 8 times faster then an Software SPI and relais are very slow for a Microcontroller.

...Or use a 100pin One like ATMEGA640 or 1280. The Inputs with direct Connection and the Relay Output via the Shift Register and additional Drivers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back