Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Inchworm and MPLAB help please!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have just recieved the INCHWORM and built it up today, the quality of the board and instructions is brilliant. I am now having problems with programming my 16F818 chip. I get this popup :

**broken link removed**

and then this in the output window within MPLAB :

...Erasing Part
...Programming Program Memory (0x0 - 0x337)
Verifying...
...Program Memory
ICD0161: Verify failed (MemType = Program, Address = 0x0, Expected Val = 0x29A3, Val Read = 0x3FFF)
ICD0275: Programming failed.
MPLAB ICD 2 Ready

I am new to using MPLAB for writing to the chip, I was using a velleman board and a seperate program for doing this, I am trying to write a program to the chip that I have successfully done using the velleman so there shouldn't be anything wrong with it? Infact this was the reason for buying the inchworm, so that I could use it with my laptop and alter the timings of the program on location.

What does this mean and can anyone help me through sorting it out? I have disabled the FIFO buffer for COM1.

I also get this error when first connecting to the ICD2 :

ICDWarn0020: Invalid target device id (expected=0x26, read=0x1FF)

Hmm, the program works with a new 16F819, no problems using the inchworm with that, I don't have a new 818 but should have tomorrow. Is it possible that the 16F818's I have that were unwritable with the velleman board are the problem? It's odd because MPLAB successfully erases them but won't write to them. arrggghh any suggestions?

OK still no joy, I can get an 819 to work 90% of the time, but still the same error all the time with an 818? Any ideas guys? I don't want to keep talking to myself!! lol

What version are you using? I got 7.5 and it shows support for the 818 but not for use with PicKit2. Are you using PicKit2?

I am also using the latest version, I am only using MPLAB and the INCHWORM ICD2 i'm sure it is supposed to support the 818, the 819 isn't vastly different to the 818 and it works. I am expecting more 818's tomorrow or at the weekend so I will have to try "new" ones as the 818's I have have all fallen victim to a lesser board. At least I hope that is the issue.

spondootre said:
OK, so if I turn off MCLR will I need to adjust my circuit? because it is already been produced and working???

Does your circuit use the MCLR pin as I/O? - ICSP requires it to be be a reset pin, it needs to be taken LOW to reset the device, and to 13V to enter programming mode (and to 5V to run). If the reset pin is disabled and allocated as an I/O pin you can't do that.

It doesn't make any difference if I set the configuration bits in MPLAB to :

MCLR select bit - RA5 is MCLR

or

MCLR select bit - RA5 is digital I/O, MCLR tied to VDD

?? I still get the same error, but when connecting to the INCHWORM with an 818 connected I get this error :

so perhaps it is the 818 IC that is cream crackered?

No the MCLR pin (4) isn't connected to anything in the circuit.
What I don't understand unless this chip is busted is that the 819, works ok with the same program, it is recognised in MPLAB on the ICD2 and blowing the hex file into it works fine, then it works fine incircuit. BUT the 818 doesn't, as above I get the initial error :

which is probably the cause of the problems rather than the next error which perhaps wouldn't be there if the chip was recognised? I will have to wait until I get some new 818's before I can try one though, which should be later today.

Well I just got the 818 chips via courier, they were unpackaged and programmed in redcord time!! lol. It seems that it was the actual 818 chips themselves that were faulty. They had been used with the Velleman board and stopped working, I was hoping they would be revivable by using a better quality board but it seems this isn't going to happen.

Thanks for the help guys,
also thanks to william@blueroom for making such a quality product, I still can't believe the price!!

Are you using them with an internal OSC and are they ICD2 compatible?

If you have a pic flash programmer you can save them.

Last edited:
I am using them with the internal OSC, they are 16F818 chips. The new ones are recognised by the MPLAB program in the Inchworm ICD2 clone but the ones I have already used in a velleman P8048'1 board and had problems with, will not work with the ICD2 the chips are just not recognised in the first place??

spondootre said:
I am using them with the internal OSC, they are 16F818 chips. The new ones are recognised by the MPLAB program in the Inchworm ICD2 clone but the ones I have already used in a velleman P8048'1 board and had problems with, will not work with the ICD2 the chips are just not recognised in the first place??

Can you fully erase them including the config bits?

I can't do anything with the old 818's they are not identified in the first place as 818's so I can't erase or program them, but the new chips work fine so the old ones must be internally messed up.
Which is quite a thing for the Velleman board to have achieved!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back