Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

In need of guidance in picking replacement potentiomemter

Status
Not open for further replies.

nwillis

updated *****After further searching, and looking at the inside of the item in question, it is wound wire over a plastic ring, different from the internals of a potentiometer, a rheostat. I have been searching and have found 10ohm rheostats, I think this may be suitable, **broken link removed** Any opinions?
Hello,
After searching and searching I still have not found an answer. I hope that someone out there may be able to enlighten me. I am trying to find a suitable replacement pot. The pot says on the back "B10Ω". At the local 'shack' I found a 10k-ohm linear-taper, but it did not operate as the original; only at the extreme end of the radius of the pot. I hope that is understandable. What I need to know is what would be used as a replacement. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I apologize for my vagueness.
Thank you.
- Neil

Last edited:
You replaced a 10ohm pot with a 10,000ohm pot... That might help explain why it didn't work. You're not likley to find a 10ohm pot at Radioshack.
Wattage is an important consideration as well, the physical size of the original pot will help determine what's it's power handling was.

Thank you for your input, here is a photo

Thank you for the information. The size of the pot is the same as those found in guitars volume and tone controls. I will post a pick of the backside of the pot. I pulled it apart to try to understand the interior design. The power supply is a 12 volt wall adapter. Does anyone have any ideas as to were to find a suitable replacement?

Thank you for your knowledge in an area in which i have very little.

- Neil

Attachments

• DSCN0324.JPG
    DSCN0324.JPG
    106.3 KB · Views: 260
The resistance value for the rheostat that you linked is acceptable however the wattage it can handle means it's probably a quiet a bit larger so keep that in mind, this isn't important except for size/weight. There's no way to tell from the markings on the POT what its wattage is unless it's written there plainly, but I somehow doubt the one you had was rated for 10watts, maybe 1, again that's just a rough guess. A big problem is that the rheostat you picked is a wirewound one, that adds a lot of inductance, and I don't know the construction of the one you linked but it doesn't look like any wirewound POT I've seen, so the inductance the one you picked may make the circuit work in unpredictable ways. You might want to post an image of that other side of the pot, and if you KNOW that it's bad and need to replace it possible use plyers to take it apart to look at it's internals, that will nail down exactly what it is.

A photo of the other side of the pot would help in identification or at least suggestions for a possible replacement. Is this pot that you have known to be bad? It seems solid and no burnt or what not. What's your reason for replacing it?

is this from a speaker? like, the tweeter level control? there aren't very many other places a 10 ohm wirewound pot is used... i think you will find it's a 1 watt control

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back