Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

In-expensive 10 turn pots

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuhagen

I have been trying to find precision 5-15 turn pots that are under $10. The attached is the preferred style. Must be a panel mount, preferably 1/8" shaft. The attached I got quoted about $65 ea. from a EFI rep. This one was a MW12B10L5K.

I can get a larger one, like a Bourns 3590 series for about $15, but they appear to only come in 1/4" shafts, and a much larger body. Trying to get all this into a small box.

I am not brand name dependant. Just wirewound, 5% or so in a 5K. Anyone have a source in my price range?

Stu

Attachments

• Bourns Pot 3700.JPG
    Bourns Pot 3700.JPG
    14.1 KB · Views: 316
The retail price for those kinds of precision pots is pretty high as you have found. I think your best bet is to look for a reseller on E-bay. Here is one listing I found for 5K. Three for $12.50+ shipping. Howevewr they appear to have 1/4" shafts.

**broken link removed**

Lefty

Last edited:
hi Stu,
Replied to your PM

This picture shows the method I have used for mounting trim pots on panels.
I have shown the extension shaft and knob on this picture.
The shaft comes with the panel adaptors I bought, but the knob has to be bought separately.

I would suggest for your application that you connect say a 500R single turn panel mount pot in series with the bottom end of the 5K multi turn trim pot.
So the 5K trim would be on the pcb; cut the track that connects the bottom of the 5K to 0V. Wire across the cut track a 500R single turn chassis mounted pot.

SET the single turn 500R pot to its centre of rotation, adjust the 5K trim for the Vset.
The chassis pot will now give a small range of adjustment of Vset of about Vadj ~ [500/5000] Vset.

Do you follow OK.?:)

Attachments

• esp01 Dec. 05.gif
    esp01 Dec. 05.gif
    32.6 KB · Views: 252
Last edited:
Fulfilling the 5% tolerance requirement might be hard to do for a reasonable price because the tollerance of most pots is 30%.
These aren't badly priced but I don't know what £7.50 is in USD.
**broken link removed**

$65 ay?

You can buy motorised pots for less than that!
**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back