Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

imulate a small Voltage Drop Out with MOSFET vs. parasitic capacitances

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirkdiggler2oo2

Hello,

i want to simulate a small voltage drop out (variable between 1us to 40us), the supply voltage is also variable (between +5V to +35V).

On the basis of the facts that a relay is to slow i think about a MOSFET, it should withstand high voltage and high current.

The problem i have is that to switch in MHz-range i need high current so that the MOSFET parasitic capacitances are reloaded and the waveform of switching have a rectangle signale form.

Does anybody know a solution to eliminate parasitic capacitances ?

I don't think the MOSFET would be the problem, many MOSFETs can switch in the MHz range (you didn't specify what frequency). The problem is what it is driving. The capacitance on the drive side will drastically effect the signal, because as we all know, you can't instantaneously change the voltage on a capacitor. What are you driving? What are its characteristic capacitance and inductance values???

my switching frequency is between 25kHz (1/40us) up to 1MHz (1/1us).

I want to drive a pump, motor applikation so i have to provide min. 2A, but i don't know the capacitance and inductance valuesat time

Why do you want to do that?

Are you talking about PWM? Normally a lower frequency is used for that.

dirkdiggler2oo2 said:
no pwm, i want to simulate a short break down of the power supply voltage

It is unlikely that a power supply would drop out with a sharp drop like that. The filtering caps in a supply would prevent that from happening. Can you elaborate on what type of fault would drop the supply like that?

A fault on the circuit side, or wireing fault coming from the power supply. Just off the top of my head (not the original poster)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back